Author Topic: File Name Length and Format  (Read 3501 times)

Offline Jerry

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
File Name Length and Format
« on: February 05, 2007, 09:16:42 AM »
I have just started to use PM and have found that when viewing existing jpg files, there are no thumbnail images for many of my files.  I am able to view them in another browser.  It seems that PM does not like the single quote mark (') and long file names (couldn't find a reference in the manual for max length).  The files that were troublesome contained phrases such as that's or don't.  After editing the names and shortening some, PM was able to display the thumbnail, but I have many more files to edit so before I started this project, I was wondering if indeed PM doesn't like the single quote and what is the max file length?

Thanks for a great product.

Jerry

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: File Name Length and Format
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 10:31:00 AM »
Jerry,

I have just started to use PM and have found that when viewing existing jpg files, there are no thumbnail images for many of my files.  I am able to view them in another browser.  It seems that PM does not like the single quote mark (') and long file names (couldn't find a reference in the manual for max length).  The files that were troublesome contained phrases such as that's or don't.  After editing the names and shortening some, PM was able to display the thumbnail, but I have many more files to edit so before I started this project, I was wondering if indeed PM doesn't like the single quote and what is the max file length?

It would be useful to know what OS you are running?
And what version of PM you are running?

There is no limit to filename length beyond the limits imposed by the OS itself.

-Kirk

Offline Jerry

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: File Name Length and Format
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 01:48:53 PM »
Sorry, about that: I'm using Windows XP SP2 and version 4.4.3.3 of Photo Mechanic.  I have a file that is 69 characters long (including the ext., png) and PM does not display the thumbnail.  When I reduce the length to 63 characters, the thumbnail displays.  Must the file length take into account the folder location?  The 69 characters does not include the string 'f:\my pictures\cartoons\'.

Jerry