Author Topic: Crop not removed  (Read 4706 times)

Offline olidie

• View Profile
Crop not removed
« on: October 03, 2015, 07:52:55 AM »
Hello,

I just encountered the problem that a crop is kept in PM (build 16765 (2682973) although it is removed in Adobe Camera Raw. I opened a NEF file from my Nikon D750 via PM (STRG+E) in ACR (Photoshop CC 2015, Wind 8.1 x64) and did my adjustments including a crop. The crop rectangle is then shown in the PM preview and thumbnail. I then reopened the picture in ACR, reset all settings and removed the crop. Now the crop is still show in PM (thumbnail & preview) but not in ACR when I open the picture again to edit.

Here's how I noticed it: I synchronize a folder with pictures on two drives. When I remove a crop (in ACR or directly in PM) the file in the corresponding folder on the other drive is absolutely identical in size and timestamp but the crop rectangle is still there. But only in PM. If opened in ACR the picture is uncropped. 

Is this a bug, a feature or a mistake on my side?

Regards
Oliver

« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 02:18:11 PM by olidie »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Crop not removed
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 09:53:41 AM »
Oliver,

I just encountered the problem that a crop is kept in PM (build 16765 (2682973) although it is removed in Adobe Camera Raw. I opened a NEF file from my Nikon D750 via PM (STRG+E) in ACR (Photoshop CC 2015, Wind 8.1 x64) and did my adjustments including a crop. The crop rectangle is then shown in the PM preview and thumbnail. I then reopened the picture in ACR, reset all settings and removed the crop. Now the crop is still show in PM (thumbnail & preview) but not in ACR when I open the picture again to edit.

Here's how I noticed it: I synchronize a folder with pictures on two drives. When I remove a crop (in ACR or directly in PM) the file in the corresponding folder on the other drive is absolutely identical in size and timestamp but the crop rectangle is still there. But only in PM. If opened in ACR the picture is uncropped. 

Is this a bug, a feature or a mistake on my side?

Please post your XMP sidecar file here.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline olidie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 10:00:51 AM »
Here you go

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 06:31:37 PM »
Here you go

That XMP file still indicates a crop set by PM or ACR:

crs:HasCrop="True"
   crs:AlreadyApplied="False"
   crs:CropLeft="0.216649"
   crs:CropTop="0.123200"
   crs:CropRight="0.973319"
   crs:CropBottom="0.763200"
   crs:CropAngle="0.00"
   crs:CropConstrainToWarp="1"

-Kirk

Offline olidie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 11:30:08 PM »
Initially a crop was done in ACR but then removed. When I open the picture in ACR there is no crop anymore. Does this hint to a ACR problem?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 08:45:15 AM »
Initially a crop was done in ACR but then removed. When I open the picture in ACR there is no crop anymore. Does this hint to a ACR problem?

Quite possibly.  The XMP sidecar file you gave me definitely still has a valid crop in its metadata.

-Kirk