Author Topic: GPS Tagging on ingest as part of IPTC info  (Read 4100 times)

Offline Linwood

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
GPS Tagging on ingest as part of IPTC info
« on: January 24, 2016, 06:06:19 PM »
Doing a trial of Photo Mechanic as a culling front end for Lightroom.  So far it's lightning fast, and I'm even finding I want to not just cull but crop and straighten in PM.

So in doing that it seems natural to also caption there, including both standard stuff plus per-image captions where needed.   Well, one "standard stuff" I usually add are GPS coordinates for the event (sports shoots normally).  Not per image, I'm not using a GPS on camera or tracking log, just location of the field or arena.

I see how to add them once ingested, but what seems natural is to have a stationary shortcut saved for each venue with common items, keywords, team info, etc., and the only thing not in the stationary that I see is GPS location.
All this works except GPS.

Am I missing a place to put it?   I'd like to do it at ingestion, but even moreso I'd like to associate a location with the IPTC data saved for that venue so I don't forget.

PS. I realize in a definition sense GPS may not be IPTC, literally; but it's similar information.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: GPS Tagging on ingest as part of IPTC info
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 09:05:45 PM »
Doing a trial of Photo Mechanic as a culling front end for Lightroom.  So far it's lightning fast, and I'm even finding I want to not just cull but crop and straighten in PM.

So in doing that it seems natural to also caption there, including both standard stuff plus per-image captions where needed.   Well, one "standard stuff" I usually add are GPS coordinates for the event (sports shoots normally).  Not per image, I'm not using a GPS on camera or tracking log, just location of the field or arena.

I see how to add them once ingested, but what seems natural is to have a stationary shortcut saved for each venue with common items, keywords, team info, etc., and the only thing not in the stationary that I see is GPS location.
All this works except GPS.

Am I missing a place to put it?   I'd like to do it at ingestion, but even moreso I'd like to associate a location with the IPTC data saved for that venue so I don't forget.

PS. I realize in a definition sense GPS may not be IPTC, literally; but it's similar information.

I'm not sure that the IPTC Stationery Pad would be an ideal place to put GPS coordinates for the purposes of applying them during Ingest.  How likely is it that an entire set of photos is taken at the same GPS coordinate?  Under some circumstances an entire camera card could have all photos taken at the same location but what would happen when some portion of the photos are taken in one location and the remaining photos are in at least one other location?  If the IPTC Stationery Pad was used to apply the same coordinate to the photos during Ingest then a number of them would now have an incorrect GPS coordinate.

This is one reason we offer other ways to set GPS coordinates.

-Kirk

Offline Linwood

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: GPS Tagging on ingest as part of IPTC info
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 07:07:04 AM »
I'm not sure that the IPTC Stationery Pad would be an ideal place to put GPS coordinates for the purposes of applying them during Ingest.  How likely is it that an entire set of photos is taken at the same GPS coordinate?  Under some circumstances an entire camera card could have all photos taken at the same location but what would happen when some portion of the photos are taken in one location and the remaining photos are in at least one other location?  If the IPTC Stationery Pad was used to apply the same coordinate to the photos during Ingest then a number of them would now have an incorrect GPS coordinate.

This is one reason we offer other ways to set GPS coordinates.

-Kirk

Thanks, Kirk.  Implicit in your answer is I'm not missing anything in terms of being able to do it now.

I get what you are saying but I suspect it depends on what you are shooting. Consider sports:
  • On the one hand, one might decide not to tag at all with GPS - no issue either way.
  • Or they might have a camera which automatically tags - no issue for PM there either.
  • But let's say they wanted to tag, and didn't have GPS - they are almost certainly just going to want to tag it as the venue, not where they were standing for each shot (who can remember, or has the time).
The latter is my situation.

But since I go to Lightroom all the time, I can keep doing it there.  The question was more about just exploring what PM can do and not.

Oh... and yes, some days I shoot two events on the same cards.  But then you wouldn't apply the IPTC stationary pad at ingestion either, but afterwards against a selection, and then you get the same issue that it is likely one venue with one location.

And of course if I were a bit more energetic I'd put on the little GPS dongle and not manually tag at all.   :-\

Thanks for the quick response.