Author Topic: Nef D100 and Color management button  (Read 6267 times)

Offline leo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Nef D100 and Color management button
« on: February 05, 2007, 02:30:10 PM »
 :D Hi all,

This is my first post and the firts thing I'd like to mention is that I like PM very much and first impressions are very positive. However, there are some bits and pieces that I don't seem to get around..
First: Nef´s of my d100 are not shown at a normal size and on the preview screen I can only get a reduced version of the pic, why is that? Interestingly enough when the pic is modified on Nikon Capture Nx, then the pic (Nef) can be viewed at the preview screen of PM without any trouble..any ideas? I changed the options regarding the reading of IPTC/XMP for tiff-based RAW and no improvement..
2nd: On my D2x I always shoot using the colour mode II (Adobe RGB). I understand that if I have stated SRGB on the preferences in the colour management menu, when I press the colour management button I should be able to see the pic in SRGB mode but it makes no difference turning the button on and off. AFAI understand, my brother in law is able to switch between the 2 modes and see the differences and I am wondering if I may have a problem with my configuration/pc,etc.. Any suggestions?

Thanks very much in advance for your prompt reply and congratulations on such an excellent software!

Regards

Leo

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Nef D100 and Color management button
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 02:36:00 PM »
Leo,

This is my first post and the firts thing I'd like to mention is that I like PM very much and first impressions are very positive. However, there are some bits and pieces that I don't seem to get around..
First: Nef´s of my d100 are not shown at a normal size and on the preview screen I can only get a reduced version of the pic, why is that?

Because in general Photo Mechanic does not render RAW files.  It shows the embedded JPEG previews in your NEF files.  D100 NEFs included a low resolution preview.

Quote from: leo
Interestingly enough when the pic is modified on Nikon Capture Nx, then the pic (Nef) can be viewed at the preview screen of PM without any trouble..any ideas?

Capture NX puts in a larger preview.

I changed the options regarding the reading of IPTC/XMP for tiff-based RAW and no improvement..

True, that would not make any difference.

2nd: On my D2x I always shoot using the colour mode II (Adobe RGB). I understand that if I have stated SRGB on the preferences in the colour management menu, when I press the colour management button I should be able to see the pic in SRGB mode but it makes no difference turning the button on and off. AFAI understand, my brother in law is able to switch between the 2 modes and see the differences and I am wondering if I may have a problem with my configuration/pc,etc.. Any suggestions?

That setting only controls what ICC profile is used if a picture's ICC profile cannot be determined.  So for instance if you have an image that has no ICC tags/profiles in it the Photo Mechanic will use the default profile you have chosen.

Turning color management on and off tells PM whether it should match the colors of the photos to the profile of your monitor.

Have you calibrated your monitor lately?

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline leo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 02:51:56 PM »
 :D
Thanks Kirk, that was quick!
Yes, I have my monitor calibrated and the monitor mode I have in Windows is SRGB . I previously used PM a while ago and I remember being able to switch between seeing the pics in the adobe RGB mode (mode they were taken) (washed out) and the SRGB mode (colourful and constrasted) by pressing the colour mode button.
I don´t know why I am not able to do it again..Have I changed something without noticing?
Thanks for your thoughts and excellent reply concerning the d100.

Regards

Leo

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 03:01:20 PM »
Leo,

Yes, I have my monitor calibrated and the monitor mode I have in Windows is SRGB . I previously used PM a while ago and I remember being able to switch between seeing the pics in the adobe RGB mode (mode they were taken) (washed out) and the SRGB mode (colourful and constrasted) by pressing the colour mode button.
I don´t know why I am not able to do it again..Have I changed something without noticing?

I'm not sure what you mean by "the monitor mode I have in Windows is SRGB"?  You'll want to make sure that you tell Windows to use your custom calibrated profile.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline leo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 03:10:43 PM »
Thanks Kirk. I have tried with both options, the calibrated mode and the SRGB. I have installed the demo in my 2nd PC and it has the SRGB mode in windows (not calibrated). In the 2nd computer I manage to see the differences when I switch between colour management on/off but if I apply the same settings in my principal computer..no difference..it may be my pc..I don´t know, I just wondered whether somebody else had the same problem or if any idea came up to the support team.
If by any chance you think of other possible explanations, please let me know.

Regards

Leo

Offline leo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 02:27:36 AM »
Well, I finally managed to solve the problem about the colour mode. I installed the ICC profile for adobe RGB in the spool folder (system 32), and it finally works. I'm loving this software.

Best wishes to all and particularly to Kirk
Leo

Offline RobertE

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 04:31:45 AM »
Hi Leo,

Your colour management is all over the place. I strongly recommend reading up on CM, then come back to your Photo Mechanic settings. For starters have a look at UPDIG:

http://www.updig.org/guidelines/index.php

What you're doing now is akin to adjusting your monitor to suit a lab's output.

-- Robert.

Offline leo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 08:11:06 AM »
 :D Thanks Robert, I will certainly do that!

Regards

Leo