Author Topic: Rating and Keyword compatibility between PM & LR/PS  (Read 3700 times)

Offline Airborne2

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Rating and Keyword compatibility between PM & LR/PS
« on: October 05, 2015, 04:11:45 AM »
For my workflow I download the images from my camera Memory card into Photo Mechanic. Then I select them for rejections and rename them ready to transfer them to my file directories.
What I would like to do next is add ratings/colour codes and keywords. I can do in PM but when I open the files in LR or PS the ratings and keywords are missing. I figure that this is a problem with transferring info between PM & LR/PS.
Does anyone know how I can add the ratings and Keywords and still have them applied in LR/PS. Is there a plug-in or patch available to allow this??
Airborne2

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
Re: Rating and Keyword compatibility between PM & LR/PS
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 08:29:09 AM »
Hi Airborne2,

Yes, many of us do this exact thing, so Photo Mechanic is built for being able to get your information into other programs. First I would make sure that your XMP/IPTC settings are in line with Lightroom's. 

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=Preferences#Maximizing_IPTC.2FXMP_Compatibility

Then I would make sure that your Color Classes have the exact same name as the ones in Lightroom.  There is a really fast way to do that here: 

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=User_Manual_Flat_View#External_Compatibility

I hope this helps,

Mick

Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Rating and Keyword compatibility between PM & LR/PS
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 08:49:50 AM »
For my workflow I download the images from my camera Memory card into Photo Mechanic.

Are you copying or ingesting your photos to a permanent storage device like a hard drive or server volume prior to making edits?  If not then PM is set by default to not modify the contents of your memory card.  Since the files are left untouched, any access by other applications will not see the edits you made in Photo Mechanic.  You can change this preference in the Files section of PM's Preferences, but we suggest that you Ingest or Copy your photos to a storage device first and then make your edits.

HTH,

-Kirk