Author Topic: PM not saving stationary templates  (Read 6531 times)

Offline slewis

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM not saving stationary templates
« on: October 10, 2015, 06:18:54 AM »
I'm trying to save a series of Stationary templates ahead of events so that I can simply load each one at each event.  However, since updating to OS X 10.11 (El Capitan), PM no longer seems to be able to save templates reliably.  Periodically, the save button will work.  Most times, however, it will not.  I have tried shutting down and restarting PM a number of times, and it seems to make no difference.  I can't even get PM to save to the default stationary name.

The problem is occurring on Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 16765 (2682973).  The system is running OS X 10.11, with 16gig ram and a 1 TB ssd.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM not saving stationary templates
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 10:00:24 AM »
I'm trying to save a series of Stationary templates ahead of events so that I can simply load each one at each event.  However, since updating to OS X 10.11 (El Capitan), PM no longer seems to be able to save templates reliably.  Periodically, the save button will work.  Most times, however, it will not.  I have tried shutting down and restarting PM a number of times, and it seems to make no difference.  I can't even get PM to save to the default stationary name.

At what point does the process fail?  Do you see a file chooser dialog?

Please send me your log file.  Help->Reveal Support Data...

Attach the zipped PM log file to your reply.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline slewis

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 01:19:36 PM »
The file chooser dialog comes up, and allows me to enter a file name.  However, when I click save, it acts as if it has saved the template, except that nothing is written to the disk.  If I look at the same folder where I "saved" the template with Finder, no new file shows up in the finder.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 01:25:05 PM »
The file chooser dialog comes up, and allows me to enter a file name.  However, when I click save, it acts as if it has saved the template, except that nothing is written to the disk.  If I look at the same folder where I "saved" the template with Finder, no new file shows up in the finder.

I'm not sure how the filename chooser is letting you choose a filename as a directory, but you need to choose a directory and then a filename to save.

From your log: '/Users/slewis/Dropbox/Documents/PM/FIUFootballvUTEPIcon.XMP/PM_Metadata.XMP'

This indicates you're trying to save your "PM_Metadata.XMP" file into a directory called "FIUFootballvUTEPIcon.XMP"

Perhaps if you post a screen shot of the filename chooser dialog I'll see what's going on?

Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline slewis

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 07:25:21 AM »
I had already navigated into a "PM" folder on my dropbox account (I use that to sync templates between two different systems), and was trying to save only the file name in that director.  To be specific, I was trying to save a file named "FIUFootballvUTEPIcon.XMP".  After that started failing, I tried saving to the default "PM_Metadata.XMP" file.  However, I did not enter a full system path, and did not enter the name appearing in the log.

I'll see what I can do to generate some screen shots, but I'm not sure they'll tell you more than above.

Offline slewis

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 05:11:18 PM »
I've attached a screen shot.  I encountered the same problem again this evening, when I attempted to update the template.  The attached shows that I get as far as entering the file name, and the name entered.  When I click save, nothing happens.  I don't get a warning about overwriting the existing file, and the existing file is not updated.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 05:20:57 PM »
I've attached a screen shot.  I encountered the same problem again this evening, when I attempted to update the template.  The attached shows that I get as far as entering the file name, and the name entered.  When I click save, nothing happens.  I don't get a warning about overwriting the existing file, and the existing file is not updated.

What happens if you deselect the row in the list below (hold down the Command-key while clicking on the row) and then save?

-Kirk

Offline slewis

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 06:00:12 PM »
For some reason, I cannot de-select the row once I've selected it.  It also appears to have selected a row by default about half the times I go into the save dialog (it's almost as if PM is passing the filename of the open stationary file to the dialog, and that row is selecting automatically). 

When the dialog comes up without a row being selected, and I do not select anything--only enter a name in the file name field--then it seems to save the file.   However, if I enter the same name a second time (to update the stationary), then it goes through the motions of saving but does nothing.

Offline slewis

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 06:10:21 PM »
I just discovered that the save dialog seems to select, by default, the row of the last file clicked in the row.  In other words, if I open a template for volleyball, and then go into the save dialog, the row with the volleyball template is selected in the list of files (the actual file name file shows PM_MetadataXMP by default).