Author Topic: IPTC Data Customization  (Read 4820 times)

Offline bcap

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
IPTC Data Customization
« on: February 07, 2007, 08:05:48 AM »
Hi Kirk,

This feature is a little difficult to explain, but I'll do the best I can.

When I go to input some IPTC data into an image, is there anyway I could limit what fields are available to view? And could I rename those fields tags?

For example. We use PM to process our league photos for sports. We go into the IPTC data for each individual image of the athlete, put their order (i.e. 5x7, 8x10, wallets, etc) into the keywords field, comma separated, and put their name into the "comments" field. This isn't a huge deal, but it would be nice if we could specify maybe a profile and have, instead of all the other fields (i.e. Object, Category, Date, etc, etc), we could have just 2 fields, "orders" corresponding with the keywords input field and "player name", which corresponds to the comments input field. 

Being able to customize the layout and available fields in the IPTC data input screen like this would be great, as we use this for more than just league photos. When we do event photography, we use the IPTC caption field as the Player name, the comments field as their number, and then run a photoshop script that does all the work for us.

What are your thoughts?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: IPTC Data Customization
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 09:19:12 AM »
This feature is a little difficult to explain, but I'll do the best I can.

When I go to input some IPTC data into an image, is there anyway I could limit what fields are available to view? And could I rename those fields tags?

For example. We use PM to process our league photos for sports. We go into the IPTC data for each individual image of the athlete, put their order (i.e. 5x7, 8x10, wallets, etc) into the keywords field, comma separated, and put their name into the "comments" field. This isn't a huge deal, but it would be nice if we could specify maybe a profile and have, instead of all the other fields (i.e. Object, Category, Date, etc, etc), we could have just 2 fields, "orders" corresponding with the keywords input field and "player name", which corresponds to the comments input field. 

Being able to customize the layout and available fields in the IPTC data input screen like this would be great, as we use this for more than just league photos. When we do event photography, we use the IPTC caption field as the Player name, the comments field as their number, and then run a photoshop script that does all the work for us.

I do plan to add this sort of customization in a future version of Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk