Author Topic: renaming files  (Read 3739 times)

Offline egami

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
renaming files
« on: February 07, 2007, 09:47:40 AM »
Hello,

I've just downloaded a trial version and have discovered that PM will allow me to sort files according to lat and long data from my camera's GPS. This is wonderful.

Once I've sorted the files I would like to be able to rename them individually while retaining an original serial number, i.e. to replace SOMENAME A00345.nef with SOMEOTHERNAME A00345.nef, where the second sequence of letters and numbers remains the same. In Adobe Bridge individual files can be renamed by simply highlighting the file name and then replacing whatever one wants to. In PM I see that one can click on the name of the file, highlight all of parts of it and change the text. However, once one moves to another file it reverts to its former name. Using the rename function is also not that useful as it will not carry forward the original file name into the new text box.

Is there a way around this to rename files directly?

I'm using Mac OS 10.3.9 and am crunching Nikon nef raw files.

Thanks,
Louis Helbig

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: renaming files
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 10:05:38 AM »
Louis,

I've just downloaded a trial version and have discovered that PM will allow me to sort files according to lat and long data from my camera's GPS. This is wonderful.

Once I've sorted the files I would like to be able to rename them individually while retaining an original serial number, i.e. to replace SOMENAME A00345.nef with SOMEOTHERNAME A00345.nef, where the second sequence of letters and numbers remains the same. In Adobe Bridge individual files can be renamed by simply highlighting the file name and then replacing whatever one wants to. In PM I see that one can click on the name of the file, highlight all of parts of it and change the text. However, once one moves to another file it reverts to its former name. Using the rename function is also not that useful as it will not carry forward the original file name into the new text box.

Just hit enter to commit your rename.  By moving onto another image you are cancelling your edit of the filename.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline egami

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: renaming files
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 10:39:41 AM »
thanks Kirk. That works perfectly.

Louis