Author Topic: Ingestion for a multimedia workflow  (Read 5583 times)

Offline EmilW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Ingestion for a multimedia workflow
« on: October 26, 2015, 02:09:28 PM »
Hello,

I'm wondering if there's any way of treating files differently depending on different variables when ingesting?

For example, say I want to import footage from a 360 GoPro-rig (6 different cameras) simultaneously as sound from an audio recorder and regular stills from a DSLR. I want the 360 footage to be sorted into a {mediatype}/{datesort}/{time} structure, so that the clips from all the different GoPros gets sorted into individual sequence folders, named after the capture time. For the audio I want a {mediatype}/{datesort} structure, but with the source directories intact. And for the stills I want {mediatype}/{datesort} structure, but I want the files to be renamed in a specific way.

I hope I'm not too confusing. My point is that I want to treat different files differently depending on specific parameters, which in this case is the media type.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Ingestion for a multimedia workflow
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 02:36:49 PM »
Hello,

I'm wondering if there's any way of treating files differently depending on different variables when ingesting?

For example, say I want to import footage from a 360 GoPro-rig (6 different cameras) simultaneously as sound from an audio recorder and regular stills from a DSLR. I want the 360 footage to be sorted into a {mediatype}/{datesort}/{time} structure, so that the clips from all the different GoPros gets sorted into individual sequence folders, named after the capture time. For the audio I want a {mediatype}/{datesort} structure, but with the source directories intact. And for the stills I want {mediatype}/{datesort} structure, but I want the files to be renamed in a specific way.

I hope I'm not too confusing. My point is that I want to treat different files differently depending on specific parameters, which in this case is the media type.

I think you could use Code Replacement to do that.  What does {mediatype} evaluate to on each type of media you described?

With that information, I may be able to offer a suggestion.

-Kirk

Offline EmilW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 03:55:59 PM »
Oh, didn't even know you could change that. I think it's basically video, still and audio. If that's what you meant.

Edit: Hmm nope, .wav-files seems to end up in the unknown folder. Is there a way to modify the values for each extension?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 04:01:30 PM by EmilW »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 04:58:28 PM »
Oh, didn't even know you could change that. I think it's basically video, still and audio. If that's what you meant.

Edit: Hmm nope, .wav-files seems to end up in the unknown folder. Is there a way to modify the values for each extension?

No, there is no way to customize that evaluation.

So as long as you don't mind all media types that evaluate to 'unknown' being treated the way you want your audio files treated then you could use Code Replacement to have each of the three types go into specific folders.

Re-reading your original post, I see you want the source directories to be preserved in one case, and flattened in another.  That behavior cannot be changed per media type.  The feature is either always on, or always off.

Sorry.  I don't think I can help you automate things the way you want.

-Kirk

Offline EmilW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 02:20:02 AM »

So as long as you don't mind all media types that evaluate to 'unknown' being treated the way you want your audio files treated then you could use Code Replacement to have each of the three types go into specific folders.

Re-reading your original post, I see you want the source directories to be preserved in one case, and flattened in another.  That behavior cannot be changed per media type.  The feature is either always on, or always off.

-Kirk

Hmm.. okay. Ignoring the preservation of source directories, I still don't quite understand how I can use code replacement to change the destination folder structure for each individual media? As far as I understand that function basically just adds and alters variables?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 06:38:57 AM »

Hmm.. okay. Ignoring the preservation of source directories, I still don't quite understand how I can use code replacement to change the destination folder structure for each individual media? As far as I understand that function basically just adds and alters variables?

Here would be a sample Code Replacement file:

video[tab]video/{datesort}/{time}
still[tab]still/{time}
other[tab]audio/{datesort}

Then in the folder naming field you would enter (assuming your Code Replacement delimiter is '=') :

={mediatype}=

You would then get the three above paths, depending on what {mediatype} evaluates into.  For your Renaming needs, you could also use Code Replacement, but I'd need to see your renaming requirements first in order to give you a specific example.

-Kirk

Offline EmilW

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 11:38:01 AM »

Here would be a sample Code Replacement file:

video[tab]video/{datesort}/{time}
still[tab]still/{time}
other[tab]audio/{datesort}

Then in the folder naming field you would enter (assuming your Code Replacement delimiter is '=') :

={mediatype}=

You would then get the three above paths, depending on what {mediatype} evaluates into.  For your Renaming needs, you could also use Code Replacement, but I'd need to see your renaming requirements first in order to give you a specific example.

-Kirk

Ooh, I get it! Thanks a bunch!