Author Topic: Convert RAW to JPG?  (Read 4624 times)

Offline sbbdc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Convert RAW to JPG?
« on: February 07, 2007, 10:45:47 AM »
We are a wedding and portrait photography studio, currently using version 4.3.8 of PM for sorting and tagging RAW files.  This is probably a simple question, but does the current version support conversion of RAW images to JPG?  We are shooting Canon 5D and Nikon D200.  Mac OS 10.4.8. 

Thanks,
Stephen

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Convert RAW to JPG?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 11:05:39 AM »
Stephen,

We are a wedding and portrait photography studio, currently using version 4.3.8 of PM for sorting and tagging RAW files.  This is probably a simple question, but does the current version support conversion of RAW images to JPG?  We are shooting Canon 5D and Nikon D200.  Mac OS 10.4.8. 

Since you're on Mac OS X 10.4.3 and higher then the answer is yes, but with reservation: you can save RAW files as JPEGs, but there is no facility at all for adjustments.  You just get what the as shot settings are.  Most of the time this is pretty good, but sometimes you need more.

HTH,

-Kirk

P.S. You can always download the latest version and get a demo password to try it out for 20 days.

Offline ron_hiner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 11:15:13 AM »
I use PM to generate web galleries and I've always assumed that PM is creating the web jpgs from the jpg that is embedded in Nikon's NEF files.    (I use a PC btw.)

Is that really what's happening?  or is PM processing the raw data to make brand new jpgs from the raw data?

I shot some black and white shots the other day with my D2x... They open and preview just perfectly in PM, but my Nikon's Capture 4.4 gets stuck in an infinite loop while trying to open them!   Adobe's ACR opens them, but makes a total mess of the colors.   Bibble too.  The only tool I've found to view them as intended is PM.

What ever you are doing Kirk -- you are doing it right!  Keep it up!

Ron 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 11:48:01 AM »
Ron,

I use PM to generate web galleries and I've always assumed that PM is creating the web jpgs from the jpg that is embedded in Nikon's NEF files.    (I use a PC btw.)

Is that really what's happening?  or is PM processing the raw data to make brand new jpgs from the raw data?

I shot some black and white shots the other day with my D2x... They open and preview just perfectly in PM, but my Nikon's Capture 4.4 gets stuck in an infinite loop while trying to open them!   Adobe's ACR opens them, but makes a total mess of the colors.   Bibble too.  The only tool I've found to view them as intended is PM.

What ever you are doing Kirk -- you are doing it right!  Keep it up!

On Windows we are definitely getting the embedded JPEG out of the RAW file.

-Kirk