Author Topic: Metadata not sticking.  (Read 771 times)

Offline TORSTAR

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Metadata not sticking.
« on: May 07, 2023, 02:37:53 PM »
I have been using PM for years without problems until PM6.  Currently I am using build 6784 on Mac Ventura 13.2.1.
My metadata drops out after every ingest and it defaults to one from several years ago-the same one strangely enough.  I am ingesting 3 or 4 times a day usually using a couple of cards on each ingest. 
I will fill out the metadata, save a snapshot, ingest a card.  When I put in the next card to ingest, the data again default to one several years old.  This is the same for the ingest dialog screen as well as the IPTC dialogue page.  The snapshots will load properly but this seems unnecessary and needlessly time consuming or is this a feature of PM6?
I have re-installed the program several times and it is still the same problem.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Metadata not sticking.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2023, 09:16:50 AM »
When you change other preferences (such as anything in the Preferences window) and then close the window and open it back up, do those changes hold?

Offline TORSTAR

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2023, 12:38:08 PM »
No.  In launching for instance, I put in my latest version of Photoshop, quit the program and when I re-open, my older PS version is listed.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2023, 01:24:19 PM »
Thanks for checking. At least that is consistent. I would recommend Exporting your preferences: https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48000341456-exporting-photo-mechanic-s-preferences

Then, quit Photo Mechanic and go to the following folder:
/Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic

Move this folder out of the Preferences folder (or you can simply rename it to com.camerabits.PhotoMechanicOLD) and then start up Photo Mechanic again. Try changing some preferences to see if they stick. If they don't, please let us know. If they do, import the Preferences file that you created and see if changing preferences still works as expected.

Offline TORSTAR

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2023, 06:22:19 PM »
In the Library, I found com.camerabits.Photomechanic.activation  and  com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.plist and tossed them both out.  I reactivated on startup of PM6 and still the same issue.

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (7102) | macOS 14.4.1
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2023, 06:35:07 PM »
Sounds like you are in the system Library folder if you are seeing a file named: "com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic6.activation"

You're looking for a folder named "com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic" in your user Library folder.

In the Finder go up to the "Go" menu, hold down the Option key and Library should appear in the menu. Once in there go into the Preferences folder and look the folder named above.
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/

Offline TORSTAR

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2023, 08:25:14 AM »
Wow-lifesaver!  Thank you so much, I have been pulling my hair out for months and now it is all working fine-even my code replacements.
I really appreciate it.
Richard

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (7102) | macOS 14.4.1
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2023, 06:06:13 PM »
Glad you are up and running!
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/