Author Topic: Automatically synchronizing PM between a PC & Laptop using Dropbox  (Read 6470 times)

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
Does anybody automatically synchronize  their settings between their PC and laptop via Dropbox or a similar cloud based system?

I am trying to do that with my PC and Laptop using Dropbox so that I never have to manually synchronize the folders containing auto-complete, code replacement and xmp files etc.

However, the program I am using on my PC updates the central folder in Dropbox but when I turn the laptop on it updates the Dropbox folder with the old laptop info and I'm back to square one. The program I am using is 1-abc Synchronize.

Any successful methods and ideas pointing me in the right direction would be helpful.

David

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
Re: Automatically synchronizing PM between a PC & Laptop using Dropbox
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 02:36:41 PM »
That seems like an odd behavior for any syncing program (1-abc Synchronize).  I have never tried it, but is it sending everything in the folder up to the cloud even if only one file changes?  I've used Dropbox (their application) to sync code replacement files, and it has worked as expected -- only if I make changes to a file does it get sent back up to Dropbox to then change on each machine.  I can't comment on how 1-abc Synchronize does things, but the Dropbox app has worked well for me

-Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 02:57:54 PM »
Thanks Mick.

How do you use Dropbox to sync the contents of the "AppData/Roaming/Camera Bits, Inc/Photo Mechanic" folder between 2 machines? Is there an App for Dropbox to do that?

1-abc Synchronize synchronizes specific folders in their locations from laptop to Dropbox then to PC, or the other way, but I don't seem to be setting it up correctly because the files get changed and then they revert back to what they were before they were changed.

It is very frustrating and at the moment I have given up on the idea.

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

David

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 12:42:23 PM »
I use the Dropbox application installed on my desktop and laptop.

The Dropbox app creates a folder on my HD in my user directory. I'm on OSX, I keep a folder (PM Parts) in the Dropbox folder for things like codereplacement.txt files.  I tell dropbox to sync that folder across computers. When I make changes to a file on my desktop, the file gets updated on my laptop and vice versa.  But at no time does the app seem to overwrite new files with old versions.  I'm not sure how I would get that to happen if I tried.

I see in your original post that you want to not have to do any actions at all.   That I am not sure I can help with. In using my method, I do have to reload code replacements when they are changed.  I think the same would be true for syncing settings with this method.

Sorry I could not be more help

Mick

Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 12:57:05 PM »
Thanks Mick.

Yes I have used that in the past with Dropbox but what I want to do is synchronise the folders in position so that when I alter or add a code replacement file on my laptop it automatically changes on the PC and vice versa. This is especially important when new names are added at events.

I'll have to look into this very thoroughly again.

David

Offline Michael

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 09:51:09 AM »
Hello!

Because I'm an native german speaker, perhaps I dont't have understood your target right. Is your answer solved already?

I'm using the Dropbox for an overall sync of the Photo Mechnic complete folder. The folder in the original path C:\Users\M\AppData\Roaming\Camera Bits, Inc\Photo Mechanic is an symbolic link to the folder D:\Users\M\Dropbox\Photo Mechanic.

So it would be possible to work on an other machine with same configuration, if the desaster like defective hardware is coming. For a colleague I have it set up so that he can then switch between desktop and laptop. This is working properly, any change of config would be synchronized, changes in codereplacement files etc. too.

--Michael--