Author Topic: Using Photo Mechanic After Images Are Imported Into Lightroom  (Read 5362 times)

Offline tivoli

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Using Photo Mechanic After Images Are Imported Into Lightroom
« on: November 05, 2015, 01:34:10 PM »
I want to try to ask this question again. I can't believe I'm the only one with this problem but maybe I am  :)  After I import images into Lightroom, and I don't always import all of them, I often prefer to use PM to sort through a large number of images to find the ones I want to process in LR. The reason is PM's speed. So, when I find the images I want to process, chances are they have already been imported into Lightroom, which means that if I select "edit in Lightroom" in the right click, they will not show up in Lightroom (because they are already imported). How can I see the images I want to edit in LR other than "show in explorer"? I hope that's clear.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Using Photo Mechanic After Images Are Imported Into Lightroom
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 01:44:17 PM »
I want to try to ask this question again. I can't believe I'm the only one with this problem but maybe I am  :)  After I import images into Lightroom, and I don't always import all of them, I often prefer to use PM to sort through a large number of images to find the ones I want to process in LR. The reason is PM's speed. So, when I find the images I want to process, chances are they have already been imported into Lightroom, which means that if I select "edit in Lightroom" in the right click, they will not show up in Lightroom (because they are already imported). How can I see the images I want to edit in LR other than "show in explorer"? I hope that's clear.

Have you tried dragging and dropping the images from PM onto LR?

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline tivoli

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 08:23:41 AM »
Yes I have. If it's not in LR, I have the option to import it. If it has already been imported into Lightroom, the image is not highlighted in any way on the LR import screen, which is what pops up when you drag an image there.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 08:42:28 AM »
Yes I have. If it's not in LR, I have the option to import it. If it has already been imported into Lightroom, the image is not highlighted in any way on the LR import screen, which is what pops up when you drag an image there.

Perhaps ask how one can use drag and drop (PM doesn't matter, you could drag and drop a file from your OS [Finder or Windows Explorer]) to preselect an item in the image list on Adobe's forums?

-Kirk

Offline tivoli

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 05:08:30 AM »
I didn't get the last part of what you said, but sounds like a good idea to at least search there for this issue.

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 05:35:08 AM »
There is no great answer for this....
Lightroom is not interested in having you leave their Universe.
The only solution we have found for previously imported images is to search for the Image in PM and either note where it is on your drive and relocate it in the Library Tab of LR
OR once you have found your image, note down the file name and search for it in the Library tab inside LR.
It gets worse if you have moved the image through the finder (perhaps copying it to an Archive drive) because LR will not have updated the files location in its own Library....
I hope someone else has a better answer for you...
Marc
Marc

Offline tivoli

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 10:25:42 AM »
Thank you, although I've been using LR for years, I finally took a little time to see how the two can integrate via previously imported images and it seems you are exactly right. It's fine for a few images to do the library search, but when I take the time to search for, say, 20-30 images in PM (which had not yet been edited in LR) maybe I'll put them in a separate subfolder named PM picks and then sync the LR folder. Plus, I like PM because I can scroll in between the images unlike LR which is so efficient.