Author Topic: 100 percent zoom on Retina display  (Read 10004 times)

Offline jakobox

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
100 percent zoom on Retina display
« on: November 09, 2015, 04:06:31 PM »
Hi guys, quick question:

I've noticed that when I use PM and a zoom set at "1" on my retina display, the image itself appears much larger than when I view the raw file in Lightroom at 1:1.

I would have assumed that "1" in PM represents 100 percent, but it seems to represent an image zoomed into about 200 percent.

My workaround has been to view at "1/2", and that seems to give me a decent idea of how sharp the preview image is and how the raw file would render. However, I would love to understand what's going on here... It feels like it might be a bug in how PM works on retina displays.

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
Re: 100 percent zoom on Retina display
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 12:54:59 AM »
Preferences/Preview/High DPI Display qualiy set to Better or Best. HiDPI rendering is understandably slower (and some people prefer LowDPI to judge critical sharpness if they are further away from their screen), so PM let's you choose.

Offline jakobox

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 05:47:22 AM »
Thanks for that!

Interestingly, at "better or best" quality, the image actually zooms out when set to "1".

So in better or best mode, 1 does work out to a 1:1 view.
In Standard mode, it does not.

Not a huge deal, but hopefully Camera Bits will take note and can fix for a future release

Offline jakobox

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 05:48:28 AM »
Actually, minor update, only on "best" does 1 equate to 1:1
On Better, it seems that we are still looking at an overly zoomed in image.

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 06:26:40 AM »
Mind you, with Best mode and HiDPI resolution, your display is still displaying its native resolution (say UHD, ~4K, 3840x2160 pixels), but the OS X sort of upscales all applications 2x, so they display at seemingly 1920x1080 pixels (but of course much sharper than a native 1920px res, because all the icons, text and graphics are prepared at 3840px, with Retina in mind). Retina aware apps (PM, Photoshop, Photos, ...) may display photos at 1:1 pixels, which uses the true Retina resolution (e.g. 3840px), so a pixel in the photo still equals pixel on the screen. Of course these pixels are really tiny, almost invisible to eye, so in Retina mode a photo that is smaller in size than the screen resolution (say a 6 megapixel photo or a RAW file with not fullsize embedded preview like certain older cameras did) will actually seem to zoom out in Retina mode and 1:1 zoom, since the photo size in pixels is actually smaller than the screen size in pixels.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 09:38:54 AM »
Thanks for that!

Interestingly, at "better or best" quality, the image actually zooms out when set to "1".

So in better or best mode, 1 does work out to a 1:1 view.
In Standard mode, it does not.

Not a huge deal, but hopefully Camera Bits will take note and can fix for a future release

We have provided "Best" mode for people like you with HighDPI displays.  Please use it if you want the best display on your system.  Some users value speed over quality and don't want to use "Best" mode so we don't make it the default.

As I see it, there is nothing to fix in a future release unless there is some other problem of which you have not made me aware.

-Kirk

Offline jakobox

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 06:41:08 AM »
Sorry if I was unclear.

To put it as simply as possible.

When using "best" mode, images are properly displayed at 100 percent when zoom level "1" is selected.
When using "standard" or "better" mode, when zoom level "1" is selected, images display at approximately 200 percent (which make them appear slightly soft).

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 09:31:46 AM »
Sorry if I was unclear.

To put it as simply as possible.

When using "best" mode, images are properly displayed at 100 percent when zoom level "1" is selected.
When using "standard" or "better" mode, when zoom level "1" is selected, images display at approximately 200 percent (which make them appear slightly soft).

That is absolutely correct.  But you also said:

Quote from: jakobox

So I'm wondering what it is that needs fixing?

-Kirk

Offline jakobox

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 05:18:18 PM »
Me: when I press the one button on my Mac, sometimes my computer writes a 2
Apple genius: this is correct. So what's the problem?

Sorry, I'm not sure if I can break down any more simply why the current behavior is confusing and frustrating for your average user. Best of luck with your future software development!