Author Topic: Navigator and external drives issue with Mac El Capitan  (Read 3793 times)

Offline neil@dg28.com

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Navigator and external drives issue with Mac El Capitan
« on: November 10, 2015, 04:56:36 AM »
I have updated one of my Macs to El Capitan and when I try to select any of the external drives in Photo Mechanic's Navigator the application just hangs. I have deleted and re-installed PM5 and I have deleted the preferences file all with appropriate restarts but it keeps happening. This is not happening on the two Macs still running Yosemite with the same external drives. This goes for both USB3 and network drives. I can access the same drives through OSX Finder with no issues and when I then drag and drop folders of pictures onto the PM icon in the dock they open as they should but still nothing on an external drive is accessible via Navigator. Any ideas?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Navigator and external drives issue with Mac El Capitan
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 10:13:41 AM »
Neil,

I have updated one of my Macs to El Capitan and when I try to select any of the external drives in Photo Mechanic's Navigator the application just hangs. I have deleted and re-installed PM5 and I have deleted the preferences file all with appropriate restarts but it keeps happening. This is not happening on the two Macs still running Yosemite with the same external drives. This goes for both USB3 and network drives. I can access the same drives through OSX Finder with no issues and when I then drag and drop folders of pictures onto the PM icon in the dock they open as they should but still nothing on an external drive is accessible via Navigator. Any ideas?

We just tried some of our external drives on Mac OS X 10.11 and they work just fine in the Navigator.  PM only uses APIs that are publicly available in the OSes that it runs on so I suspect that this is a bug in Apple's brand-new OS.

What brand of external drives are they?  Do they require a driver in order to be used on Mac OS X?  What disk format are the drives using?

-Kirk

Offline neil@dg28.com

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Navigator and external drives issue with Mac El Capitan
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 02:36:32 PM »
Three Western Digitals (two USB3 and one gigabit ethernet), One LaCie (USB3) and a Synology Disk Station NAS (containing WD drives). They work with the Apple OS perfectly well under El Capitan. I shall keep watching for updates all round before I think of updating the other Macs.