Author Topic: [RESOLVED] Issue in file renaming  (Read 6716 times)

Offline aamodio

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
[RESOLVED] Issue in file renaming
« on: November 15, 2015, 04:32:57 AM »
Hi,

When I launch the renaming command the process fails (with messages, see attached file).The task stops and the original file name is not restored, leaving files with a temp prefix plus the original name. This issue happens randomly.

The original file name was _DSC0397.nef, the new one should be 2015-08-15_name_0001.nef. The renaming rule is "2015-08-15_name_{seqn}" (but It happens also with different rules). The result file name is _###_TMP_00135__DSC0397.

I'm running PM 5 (B 16765) under MacOs 10.9.5. The files are stored in a NAS repository (Synology EXT4 SHR) shared via AppleShare.

Thank you,
Alessandro
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 04:00:46 AM by aamodio »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Issue in file renaming
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 09:37:22 AM »
Alessandro,

When I launch the renaming command the process fails (with messages, see attached file).The task stops and the original file name is not restored, leaving files with a temp prefix plus the original name. This issue happens randomly.

The original file name was _DSC0397.nef, the new one should be 2015-08-15_name_0001.nef. The renaming rule is "2015-08-15_name_{seqn}" (but It happens also with different rules). The result file name is _###_TMP_00135__DSC0397.

I'm running PM 5 (B 16765) under MacOs 10.9.5. The files are stored in a NAS repository (Synology EXT4 SHR) shared via AppleShare.

I'd like to see PM's log file on your system.  Choose 'Reveal Support Data...' from the Help menu.  The Finder will come forward with a file called PM.log.zip selected.

Reply to this message and then click on the "Attachments and other options" link below the message window.  Upload your zipped PM log file and post your message.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline aamodio

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 10:41:02 AM »
Here it is.

Thanks,
A.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 04:03:15 PM »
Here it is.

After reviewing your log file, it appears that your NAS became temporarily unavailable during the rename.  PM tried to rename a file from its original name to its temporary name and received an error.  Then it attempted to recover from the error by renaming the temporary names back to their original names, but all of those renames failed as well.

Does your NAS have connectivity issues?

-Kirk

Offline aamodio

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 05:14:58 AM »
Kirk,

thank you for your reply. I'll investigate further. But It's strange I'm able to use, without any issues, other file renaming utilities.

A.

Offline aamodio

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 04:00:25 AM »
The issue is due to the interaction of PM renaming task with Synology NAS service called "Photo Station". When enabled It seams the service locks/hides the files after the first renaming pass.
Switching off the service resolves the issue.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 12:03:36 PM »
The issue is due to the interaction of PM renaming task with Synology NAS service called "Photo Station". When enabled It seams the service locks/hides the files after the first renaming pass.
Switching off the service resolves the issue.

Interesting.  I wonder why it would do that?  I'll have to investigate.

Thanks for the information.

-Kirk