Author Topic: PM spinning beach ball / lagging  (Read 2041 times)

Offline weddje

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM spinning beach ball / lagging
« on: November 19, 2015, 02:59:17 AM »
Hi there,

I'm using Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 16765 (2682973) on iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015, i7 core 4.0, 32gb ram, OS el captain version 10.11.1 (15B42)

Files are on a thunderbolt 2 OWC soft raid 5 external harddrive.

Whenever I switch applications, photomechanic gives me the spinning beach ball when I click on a photo in photomechanic. This takes between 3 to 10 seconds for PM to react. I have between 5 & 20 GB of free ram (checked using 'memory clean'). it's become somewhat of a pain to cull my images. What can I do?

thank you,

Joost

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM spinning beach ball / lagging
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 08:31:46 AM »
Joost,

I'm using Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 16765 (2682973) on iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015, i7 core 4.0, 32gb ram, OS el captain version 10.11.1 (15B42)

Files are on a thunderbolt 2 OWC soft raid 5 external harddrive.

Whenever I switch applications, photomechanic gives me the spinning beach ball when I click on a photo in photomechanic. This takes between 3 to 10 seconds for PM to react. I have between 5 & 20 GB of free ram (checked using 'memory clean'). it's become somewhat of a pain to cull my images. What can I do?

How many images are in the folder(s) that you're browsing?

PM rescans all of the folders that you're currently browsing each time you switch back to it.  PM does this to make sure that files that have been deleted are removed, files that are modified have their thumbnails regenerated and metadata reloaded, and that newly created files appear in the contact sheet(s).

Folders that have a large number of files in them take longer to rescan than folders that contain fewer files.

-Kirk