Author Topic: PM and LR metadata communication  (Read 3025 times)

Offline dc15773

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM and LR metadata communication
« on: November 22, 2015, 07:36:15 AM »
I am using PM 5.0 build 16765 on a Win 7x64 computer.  I just loaded PM yesterday and it is in evaluation mode.  I am using LR CC 2015.3.

I am trying to use PM to screen and rate images that have already been imported into a LR database.  These images often already have star and color ratings and have been edited in LR.  For example, I have over 13K images that I recently added to LR that I need to review and sort out the best 50 to 100 images.  There are many other images that have never been properly rated because the process is so tedious in LR.  All the images are RAW only (no JPEG).  PM is much faster than LR so I would like to use it to quickly review and apply color and star ratings.

When I start PM and ingest a folder of images into a contact sheet, I see star ratings and crop boxes, but no color ratings and the other editing (e.g. exposure changes) does not show up in the rendered image.  How do I get PM to show the color ratings?  Is it possible to get PM to use the editing that has been done in LR when rendering the image?

If I make a change to the star or color metadata, LR shows the symbol in the thumbnail that an external program has made a change to the metadata.  If I right click and select import the data from the XML file, the star rating is updated but not the color rating.  How do I get both to update?

I have looked at the preferences and the help documentation and cannot find anything.  Is it there someplace?  If so, maybe you can direct me to the right place. 

Thanks
Dave
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 07:39:00 AM by dc15773 »

Offline Gary_G

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: PM and LR metadata communication
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 09:54:21 AM »
Just a quick question. Did you go to the preferences screens and look at the:

- General configuration tab and and select the lightning bolt to select "[Adobe Lightroom]" from the pull-down that appears?
- IPTC/XMP configuration tab and select the lightning bolt to select "[Adobe Products]" from the pull-down that appears?

Note: Since PM normally communicates a large amount of data through the XMP files, I'm wondering if this might have something to do with it?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM and LR metadata communication
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 09:54:38 AM »
Dave,

I am using PM 5.0 build 16765 on a Win 7x64 computer.  I just loaded PM yesterday and it is in evaluation mode.  I am using LR CC 2015.3.

I am trying to use PM to screen and rate images that have already been imported into a LR database.  These images often already have star and color ratings and have been edited in LR.  For example, I have over 13K images that I recently added to LR that I need to review and sort out the best 50 to 100 images.  There are many other images that have never been properly rated because the process is so tedious in LR.  All the images are RAW only (no JPEG).  PM is much faster than LR so I would like to use it to quickly review and apply color and star ratings.

When I start PM and ingest a folder of images into a contact sheet, I see star ratings and crop boxes, but no color ratings and the other editing (e.g. exposure changes) does not show up in the rendered image.  How do I get PM to show the color ratings?  Is it possible to get PM to use the editing that has been done in LR when rendering the image?

If I make a change to the star or color metadata, LR shows the symbol in the thumbnail that an external program has made a change to the metadata.  If I right click and select import the data from the XML file, the star rating is updated but not the color rating.  How do I get both to update?

I have looked at the preferences and the help documentation and cannot find anything.  Is it there someplace?  If so, maybe you can direct me to the right place. 

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=User_Manual_Flat_View#Adobe_settings

You need to set PM to use the same label names that Lr uses.  See the above documentation and let me know if there is anything you need help with.

If you make changes outside of Lr (with any program, not just PM) then you'll have to force it to re-read metadata from the files you've changed.  You do this by finding the files you've changed, selecting them, and then choosing "Read Metadata from Files" from the Metadata menu.

HTH,

-Kirk