Author Topic: Photo Mechanic IPTC/XMP Configuration  (Read 4047 times)

Offline Gary_G

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Photo Mechanic IPTC/XMP Configuration
« on: November 28, 2015, 08:25:58 AM »
I will be using an Adobe DNG-based workflow for everything after ingestion, metadata injection and culling/ranking, but prior to DNG conversion for processing.
I've used the "lightning bolt" buttons to select the "Adobe Products" defaults on this and any other preference screens.

I have numerous foreign pictures and the metadata often contains foreign characters.
Should I be also selecting "Write IPTC as Unicode"?

The default is "IPTC Info Date and Time uses: IPTC Date and Time".
Should this be set to "Capture Time", since this is the date and time to which the data pertains?

Are there other deviations from the defaults for "Adobe" that I should adjust for the noted workflow ?

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Photo Mechanic IPTC/XMP Configuration
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 11:58:21 AM »
I will be using an Adobe DNG-based workflow for everything after ingestion, metadata injection and culling/ranking, but prior to DNG conversion for processing.
I've used the "lightning bolt" buttons to select the "Adobe Products" defaults on this and any other preference screens.

I have numerous foreign pictures and the metadata often contains foreign characters.
Should I be also selecting "Write IPTC as Unicode"?

You might as well do that.  XMP is always written as Unicode and most modern apps are going to prefer XMP and all but ignore the legacy IPTC.

The default is "IPTC Info Date and Time uses: IPTC Date and Time".
Should this be set to "Capture Time", since this is the date and time to which the data pertains?

That is entirely up to you.  Some people like the date and time to reflect the date and time that the caption was written.  The photo's EXIF data will still have the capture time in it.

Are there other deviations from the defaults for "Adobe" that I should adjust for the noted workflow ?

No, none that I can think of.

-Kirk