Author Topic: Can't delete Captions...  (Read 13377 times)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Can't delete Captions...
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2015, 03:32:21 PM »
Marc,

that sounds complicated, I can not allow myself to crash my mac while trying to reset Preferences. I don't even find a german designation on my mac, that would match Preferences.

What is this 'german designation'?  I looked over the instructions and didn't see any mention of "German".

-Kirk

Offline marc1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2015, 10:04:04 PM »
Kirk, my mac is in german language - and i don't understand exactly what you mean. I'm not sure to find the right 'Preferences' to reset.. Maybe it would be an option to delete PM and do a new installation ?
-Marc
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 10:09:28 PM by marc1 »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2015, 07:06:54 AM »
Marc,

Kirk, my mac is in german language - and i don't understand exactly what you mean. I'm not sure to find the right 'Preferences' to reset.. Maybe it would be an option to delete PM and do a new installation ?

Deleting the application will leave the preferences intact.  Reinstalling will have no effect.

The Preferences folder is in a sub-directory of your user account's Library folder.  Inside the Preferences folder, there is a com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic folder.  The simplest way to get there is to switch to the Finder and use the Command-Shift-G shortcut (Go->Go to Folder...) and enter:

~/Library/Preferences

I know the above path is not in German, but the folders are named in English on all Mac OS X systems, regardless of your language preferences.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline marc1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2015, 09:19:11 AM »
Hi Kirk, i found the Preferences folder with the com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic folder. Inside the camerabits.PhotoMechanic folder there are a lot of subfolders what do i have to do next ?
Thx.-Marc

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2015, 09:31:23 AM »
You continue on with the instructions:

"Rename the com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic folder by adding -old to the name. If there are any com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.plist files, then you can delete them or add "-old" to their names.  There could be 3 of these plus 3 copies ending with Lockfile. Close the Finder window.

Start Photo Mechanic.  It might complain about the registration. If it does and you do not have your registration info handy, then quit Photo Mechanic. Go back to the Library folder and then the Preferences folder. ( Library folder shortcut will be in the left sidebar of any Finder window ).

Photo Mechanic should have created a new com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic folder. Open the com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic-old folder and move the com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.registration file to the new com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic folder.

Now Photo Mechanic should be reset so it looks as if it has just been installed for the first time.  Try the same workflow to make sure Photo Mechanic is working correctly now.  If not, then I recommend re-installing the Photo Mechanic application.

If Photo Mechanic is working correctly now, go to the Preferences and click the Import button.  Locate the PM-old-prefs.PMX file from where you saved it earlier and Open it. When the list opens click the Import button to continue. Click the Yes button in the alert dialog to complete the Import. Photo Mechanic will need to quit to save the changes."

-Kirk

Offline marc1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2015, 04:00:29 AM »
Hi Kirk, Hi Hayo,
thanks for your support, but i guess that this process is to complicated. The risk, that 'PM collapses' is to high for me - i'm working as a photo-journalist. I work since years with this software without any bigger problems and i use PM almost every day.

Thx-Marc

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2015, 09:22:03 AM »
Marc,

Simply rename the com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic folder to something else.  PM will create default settings on its next launch.

See the image below for what folder you need to rename.  Just add ".old" onto it.

HTH,

-Kirk