Author Topic: Embedding of Job Data  (Read 5095 times)

Offline Gary_G

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Embedding of Job Data
« on: November 29, 2015, 09:45:02 AM »
I've had good success with embedding (on ingest) invariant data that is common to a complete shoot.

However; the usual IPTC pad data does not include fields for some of the the job info. There are elements relating to the specific client in the job panel that one enters and that do not seem to have a place in the IPTC pad metadata. If it doesn't get associated with the set of shots, it could get lost or separated.

How have people been associating the full data from the job entry panel?

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Embedding of Job Data
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 10:31:09 AM »
I use data from the job&customer info in my IPTC (stationary) to fill the fields that I find relevant. I also use some of the info in the folder name. So basically it is up to you to find good use of the job&customer data ;)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Gary_G

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 12:26:41 PM »
Hayo;

My concern is being able to record the User/Client Variables with the images.
Does one have to modify the IPTC template to capture the remainder somewhere?

I've the following mapping between the User/Client Variables and the IPTC Stationery Pad:
Client:
  Job_Name --> Event
  Address --> Location
  City --> City
  State --> State/Province
  Country --> Country

There is no item in the IPTC at present to contain:
Client:
  Name
  Phone
  Mobile Phone
  Web URL
  Email address
  Client 1, 2, 3

I'm not concerned about the User portion of the User/Client Variables at present, but may be in future.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 12:47:07 AM »
Hi Gary,

The problem is that the jobs&customer fields do not really have a directly corresponding fields in IPTC/XMP so you'll basically have to find uses for them yourself.

For example, I use {clientcustom1} for the customer ID (four digit number) I give all my customers. I use this when ingesting to get the files in the right folder. E.g., folder name in the ingest dialog is set to: Commissioned/{clientcustom1} {clientcompany}/{jobname}

Note: the other fields I actually do not really use at all as metadata…

Cheers,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Gary_G

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 04:35:18 AM »
Thanks, Hayo.

I thought a bit more about it and then realized that the image files could be tied to the client via their storage directory, even if the information wasn't embedded in the image file itself. This is essentially what you said in your response. Thanks for providing the example: (Commissioned/{clientcustom1} {clientcompany}/{jobname}).  It makes it easier for me to visualize.

Seems that I may not have fully understood the purpose of some fields.

So, I went back and read the IPTC standard for info on the purpose of the location fields in the "Event and Location" section as opposed to the very similar fields in the "Locations Taken and Shown" section of the IPTC Stationery Pad. At first glance, they would seem to be redundant. I do know that most reverse geo-coding programs put their location info in the "Locations Taken and Shown" section, so I'm really only in doubt as to the intent of the location portion of the "Event and Location" section.

For the reference of others following this post, there is a really helpful IPTC examples page at:
https://www.iptc.org/std/photometadata/documentation/GenericGuidelines/index.htm#!Documents/iptccoreandextensionexamples.htm