Author Topic: PM and Capture One Pro 8.3  (Read 12842 times)

Offline Guido Van Damme

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM and Capture One Pro 8.3
« on: December 04, 2015, 07:16:19 AM »
I recently moved to C1Pro 8.3 for my raw workflow and tethered shooting. C1 can read the changes in color or star rating, but not the other way around. I have set C1 to always sync metadata changes. But when I change the color or star rating in C1, PM doesn't see it and C1 always changes it back to whatever PM sees...
Any idea how to change that? What are the best preference settings in PM for C1?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM and Capture One Pro 8.3
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 09:34:23 AM »
I recently moved to C1Pro 8.3 for my raw workflow and tethered shooting. C1 can read the changes in color or star rating, but not the other way around. I have set C1 to always sync metadata changes. But when I change the color or star rating in C1, PM doesn't see it and C1 always changes it back to whatever PM sees...
Any idea how to change that? What are the best preference settings in PM for C1?

Where does C1Pro 8.3 store its metadata?  If it isn't in XMP data stored either in the RAW file or in an XMP sidecar file, PM won't see the changes.

-Kirk

Offline Guido Van Damme

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 01:23:03 AM »
As far as I can see, in an XMP sidecar file.

Quote from the C1 website:
"If you have metadata related to a raw file in a standard metadata format like XMP (Extensible Metadata Platform) then Capture One will automatically reload the metadata and merge the .XMP sidecar with the metadata already created in Capture One.

Capture One can read and store metadata in the following four formats: Embedded EXIF, Embedded IPTC-IIM, Embedded XMP and .XMP Sidecar file – these four types of metadata will be automatically updated and read."

Everything PM writes, C1 sees. When I make changes in C1, PM doesn't see and overwrites whatever C1 changed.

These are the preference options in C1 regarding to syncing metadata (I have "Auto Sync Sidecar XMP" set to "Syncronise" instead of "None":
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 02:12:01 AM by vdammeg »

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 02:20:25 AM »
With the settings as you described, does the XMP sidecar file get changed when you edit in Capture One? If you haven't done so already, I would also tick the checkbox "prefer XMP sidecar over embedded".

Can you also share your PM metadata preferences? Perhaps those counteract your Capture One settings.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Guido Van Damme

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 02:28:08 AM »
I have turned about everything on and off in both PM an C1, these PM settings are the ones which allow C1 to reed whatever PM writes.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 03:42:53 AM »
In your settings, definitely flip the order of sidecar versus embedded XMP for raw files.

Still more importantly, does Capture One in fact really update the raw and XMP files?
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Guido Van Damme

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 03:47:05 AM »
Still more importantly, does Capture One in fact really update the raw and XMP files?

That is indeed my concern... It does create a new XMP sidecar file, but I have the feeling it only reads imbedded metadata and doesn't write imbedded data...

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 10:36:47 AM »

That is indeed my concern... It does create a new XMP sidecar file, but I have the feeling it only reads imbedded metadata and doesn't write imbedded data...

At this point I'd like to see a sample image and its XMP sidecar file.  Contact me privately and I'll give you login information for our FTP server so you can provide me with the files.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Odd Skjaeveland

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 01:22:16 AM »
...C1 can read the changes in color or star rating, but not the other way around. I have set C1 to always sync metadata changes. But when I change the color or star rating in C1, PM doesn't see it and C1 always changes it back to whatever PM

The C1-PM metatdata sync is a frequent question on Capture One forums. Here is a copy of a response I posted a month+ ago with respect to setting up color tags in PM for exchange with C1.

| PM -> Menu -> Edit -> Edit Preferences -> General -> Color Classes
|
| 1: Red
| 2: Green
| 3: Blue
| 4: CAPTURE ONE FAILS, DO NOT USE
| 5: Pink
| 6: Orange
| 7: Yellow
| 8: CAPTURE ONE FAILS, DO NOT USE
|
| Select appropriate color patch for color labels 1-3 and 5-7

I have my C1 setup as shown in the attached image.  When working with PM and C1 at the same time, I do now and then experience that change made in one application is not immediately reflected in the other, even if the xmp file did change.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 01:27:29 AM by Odd Skjaeveland »
--
Odd S.

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 10:15:34 AM »
I use PM and C1
I prefer change metadata of RAW with PM so C1 may read them with "charger les métadonnées" (download metadata ?).  Inverse is not possible.
I don't like XMP files.
Soizic (France)
MacBook Pro M1,Ventura, PM+ à jour, deepl translator

Offline Guido Van Damme

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 08:10:07 AM »
The C1-PM metatdata sync is a frequent question on Capture One forums. Here is a copy of a response I posted a month+ ago with respect to setting up color tags in PM for exchange with C1.

|
|
| Select appropriate color patch for color labels 1-3 and 5-7

I have already setup PM color tags like this. It helps, but doesn't fix the problem...

Offline Odd Skjaeveland

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 01:10:52 PM »
I have already setup PM color tags like this. It helps, but doesn't fix the problem...

What about your C1 setup? The part of the C1 preferences I showed (small image below my text) differs from the corresponding part of your C1 preferences (your "Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 01:23:03 am"). Auto Sync Sidecar XMP is probably the important one.

I just confirmed that the setup I posted (for PM and C1) works with C1 version 9 on a Windows 8 box. Having PM and C1 running and both applications showing thumbnails for the same C1 session capture folder, I can change color tags in one application and have them reflected in the other application. I do not know if the following observation is relevant for your use:

- When I change a color tag in PM, C1 reflects it with no further actions required (I have two monitors, PM on one, C1 on the other)

- When I change a color tag in C1, PM appears to wait for user focus, I need to click/activate the PM window to see the color tag change in PM

--
Odd S.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 01:15:09 PM by Odd Skjaeveland »
--
Odd S.

Offline Odd Skjaeveland

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2016, 03:56:41 AM »
|

Capture One version 9.1.1 (Windows) appears to handle xmp field photoshop:urgency=4 correctly. The fix was announced on March 17 with the release of version 9.1.1 .

I have updated my PM preferences to:

1: Red
2: Green
3: Blue
4: Pink
5: Purple
6: Orange
7: Yellow
8: CAPTURE ONE FAILS, DO NOT USE
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 03:59:08 AM by Odd Skjaeveland »
--
Odd S.