Author Topic: shortcut Windows contact sheet  (Read 4848 times)

Offline tuxster

• Newcomer
  • Just an old man with a camera
    • View Profile
shortcut Windows contact sheet
« on: December 12, 2015, 05:06:50 PM »
I use a Wacom tablet almost all the time when I am in Windows, and have the Wacom pen tool set for the lower button to equal a right click. This works well for most of the time, except when I am in PM, I right click the Favorite folder and nothing happens. It appears that I need the shortcut to this function to be add to the pen properties so I can have this feature. Using right click on the mouse works btw.

Thx

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: shortcut Windows contact sheet
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 05:17:13 PM »
I use a Wacom tablet almost all the time when I am in Windows, and have the Wacom pen tool set for the lower button to equal a right click. This works well for most of the time, except when I am in PM, I right click the Favorite folder and nothing happens. It appears that I need the shortcut to this function to be add to the pen properties so I can have this feature. Using right click on the mouse works btw.

Hmm.  PM listens for right mouse button clicks sent by the OS to PM and shows a contextual menu when the event is received.  If your tablet doesn't produce a right mouse button click event then I'm not sure what we could do about it.

-Kirk

Offline ostonica

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 05:54:00 PM »
I've had the same problem for a long time in my Intuos 5 tablet but could get around the problem with the use of a mouse. But it's become a much bigger problem having replaced the Intuos 5 with the new Wacom Mobile Studio Pro (no mouse).

The pen top button (right click) works perfectly well to bring up the context menu on a thumbnail in PM but never when right clicking on a folder in the Navigator pane to show the context menu there. 

So I cannot open a new contact sheet with sub-folders. It would be helpful if you could talk to Wacom to figure out why this is happening.

But in the meantime, we could work around this if you could assign Keyboard short cuts to
"Open folder and subfolders in new contact sheet"
and
"Open folder and subfolders replacing contact sheet"

Many thanks

Jim

An addendum Dec 28. I found a work around on the Mobile Studio Pro. I can assign an express key to Right-Click and disable the right-click button on the pen. When I tap to select a folder and use the express key, I get the expected context menu and can select the contact sheet. 
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 03:46:16 PM by ostonica »

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 12:53:11 AM »
Weird,

Right click works flawlessly for me, I'm using a Mac though, so this might be a Windows-only thing (though I really can't understand why it would work in one area of PM and not the other…)
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline ostonica

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 10:23:01 AM »
Weird,

Right click works flawlessly for me, I'm using a Mac though, so this might be a Windows-only thing (though I really can't understand why it would work in one area of PM and not the other…)
I thought that the Mac mouse only had one button? Has this changed recently?
Yes, it is really strange that the right click on the pen button brings up a context menu on a thumbnail but not in the Navigator pane. But the work around is OK.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 11:42:12 AM »
Yes, it is really strange that the right click on the pen button brings up a context menu on a thumbnail but not in the Navigator pane. But the work around is OK.
Actually Mac mouses do not have a (discernible) button at all :)

But no, Mac OS has had right click functionality for years now, in fact longer than I can remember ;D
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline ostonica

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 06:49:23 AM »

But no, Mac OS has had right click functionality for years now, in fact longer than I can remember ;D
How do you invoke the right click on a MacBook? I was asked to help a neighbour with a photo editing issue the other day and, not knowing how to right-click on her MacBook , I was not as helpful as I would have liked to be!
Jim

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 09:07:59 AM »
Jim,

How do you invoke the right click on a MacBook? I was asked to help a neighbour with a photo editing issue the other day and, not knowing how to right-click on her MacBook , I was not as helpful as I would have liked to be!

If you hold down the Control key while left-clicking, it becomes a right-click.

-Kirk

Offline ostonica

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 09:41:12 AM »
Thanks, Kirk. If only I'd thought to ask that question years ago ......  :-(

Jim

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2017, 10:34:41 AM »

While, as Kirk mentioned, you can press CTRL and then click to get a right click (which afaik was possible since the very first Mac OS X versions), right click can also be enabled on all mouses and trackpads that are currently available. By default (why oh why, Apple?) this is disabled though, but just enable it in your mouse or trackpad settings and be happy :) It's one of the first things I do on a new system :))
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline ostonica

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2017, 04:55:00 PM »
Many thanks, Hayo. I wonder why that is not widely known. Great to to learn something new.

Jim