Author Topic: Filter By File Types  (Read 4567 times)

Offline aamodio

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Filter By File Types
« on: December 25, 2015, 04:25:06 AM »
Hi,

Is there a way to filter a contact sheet by file types (i.e. jpg) without searching? The search relies on Spotlight and It doesn't work in a smooth way over shared net volumes.

Thanks.
A.

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
Re: Filter By File Types
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 05:00:26 AM »
You can at least Sort by file type easily (it's one of the default options in the Sort pop-up). Or you can Select RAW photos right from the Edit menu and do an invert selection. Or do a Find action for *.jpg which doesn't use Spotlight for filenames AFAIK. After any of those you can Show only selected (F2).

Offline aamodio

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 05:06:11 AM »
Thank You Frantisek.
I don't know why but the quick search with ".jpg" or "*.jpg" doesn't work.

I'll try the other methods.

Ciao,
A.

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2015, 05:16:45 AM »
You mean it doesn't work just on the network volume, or even on local files? Which OS do you have? Under OS X it is working just fine for me on NAS. Make sure you disable Combined RAW+JPEG viewing (cmd-J), as in that case searching for just *.jpg will not return any files if all jpegs have a corresponding raw file. And of course make sure you checked Filenames and not IPTC data as the search scope in the Find dialog :)

Offline aamodio

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2015, 08:24:48 AM »
Hi Frantisek,
I didn't realize that It were a Find cmd. I used only Search and Quick Search.
And you are right, the Find cmd works!
Thanks,
A.

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 11:34:14 AM »
Glad I could help :)

Yes, as far as I know Search (and Quick Search bar) make use of Apple's Spotlight functionality, which if I remember correctly is turned off by default on networked volumes (apparently, you can enable it using Terminal with AFP shares enabled on the NAS according to sources, although with my 6TB NAS I am kinda reluctant to try, it might take just forever to index), but offers a very quick and advanced search on volumes that Apple's Spotlight supports. Find command, OTOH, just looks through currenct contact sheet the old fashioned way. You can still use it for searching through large amount of files, if you open multiple folders in one contact sheet (be warned that might take a while, especially with NAS, depending on the amount of files).