Author Topic: Can't Read IPTC info ("unsupported operation")  (Read 4845 times)

Offline dagoch

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Can't Read IPTC info ("unsupported operation")
« on: February 11, 2007, 07:31:48 PM »
Hi,

I just installed PM 4.4.3.3 on a Windows XP machine that previously had version 4.2 installed.  With the new version, I can't read the IPTC info on any type of image file.  When I click on the "i" icon at the lower-left of any image thumbnail, I get an error alert box that says "An unsupported operation was attempted."  The same thing happens when I select an image and type "i". 

I can open the IPTC stationery pad ok, and when I click "apply stationery to selected" it does not report an error.  But when I look at the IPTC info from Adobe bridge, it does not seem as if any changes have been applied.

I have tried all the various permutations of the preferences for Reading IPTC/XMP data, and nothing seems to make a difference.

I tried uninstalling the software (as was suggested to the only other user who posted this problem), and then rebooted and reinstalled, but the problem persists. 

Can you suggest any other solution?

Thank you.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Can't Read IPTC info ("unsupported operation")
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 08:07:13 PM »
I just installed PM 4.4.3.3 on a Windows XP machine that previously had version 4.2 installed.  With the new version, I can't read the IPTC info on any type of image file.  When I click on the "i" icon at the lower-left of any image thumbnail, I get an error alert box that says "An unsupported operation was attempted."  The same thing happens when I select an image and type "i". 

I can open the IPTC stationery pad ok, and when I click "apply stationery to selected" it does not report an error.  But when I look at the IPTC info from Adobe bridge, it does not seem as if any changes have been applied.

I have tried all the various permutations of the preferences for Reading IPTC/XMP data, and nothing seems to make a difference.

I tried uninstalling the software (as was suggested to the only other user who posted this problem), and then rebooted and reinstalled, but the problem persists. 

Can you suggest any other solution?

I suggest you call support at 503-531-8430.  It sounds like there is something wrong with some of the settings stored in the Registry.

-Kirk

Offline fokus

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 06:08:51 AM »
Kirk,

I have noticed the same problem. I tried the 4.4.3.3 demo-version on various computers (one Laptop with a fresh installed WinXP SP2 and with all current availabe updates and a fresh installed Photo Mechanic, and two PCs running WinXP). Allways the same - "unsupported operation"! It seams to be a serious problem with the current version....

Thanks for your assistance,
regards,
Lars

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 06:51:08 AM »
Lars,

I have noticed the same problem. I tried the 4.4.3.3 demo-version on various computers (one Laptop with a fresh installed WinXP SP2 and with all current availabe updates and a fresh installed Photo Mechanic, and two PCs running WinXP). Allways the same - "unsupported operation"! It seams to be a serious problem with the current version....

So can you also open the IPTC Stationery Pad without incident?  Can you tell me anything else about your systems, like language preferences?

I would just hold tight for version 4.5 and see if that works for you.  Version 4.5 is a fully Unicode application and may just end up working fine on your systems.

-Kirk

Offline fokus

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 10:16:39 AM »
Kirk,

well the IPTC Stationery Pad works pretty fine. Just when I click the "I"-Button the message appears. My system details are:

- AMD 3800+ 2GB SATA-RAID-1
- Fujitsu Siemens AMILO 1.6GHz with 1GB

Both systems are running with a german WinXP-Prof. SP2 and all current available updates from Microsoft are installed. Furthermore .NET-Framework 1 & 2 are installed.

Hope that helps to find a solution  :)

regards,
Lars

BTW: is there a possibility to store ALL program settings (incl. FTP connection data) to transfer them to another system?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 11:55:26 AM by fokus »