Author Topic: Peculiar Color Change on different computer displays  (Read 3860 times)

Offline Gary_G

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Peculiar Color Change on different computer displays
« on: January 01, 2016, 08:26:17 PM »
I'm using a Surface Pro 3, Windows 10 and a 27" Dell digital monitor for my processing.

When I process a DNG photo and export it via Photo Mechanic as a high quality JPG proof, any other PC shows a quite a bit of de-saturation and a distinct red cast. On my Mac-book with a retina display, however, the JPG is reasonably close to the Surface Pro colors.

The DNG uses ICC Profile: sRGB IEC61966-2.1 and this is reflected in the embedded profile of the JPG.

Suggestions on how I can get these JPG proofs to look right on the average computer out there?

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Peculiar Color Change on different computer displays
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 12:38:51 AM »
Strange indeed, I don't experience any colour issues. Do you have colour management turned on in PM? (Icon top right of window should be colourful). Otherwise, send me a sample dng and jpg and I'll have a look.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Gary_G

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Peculiar Color Change on different computer displays
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 06:32:51 PM »
Hayo;

Thanks for replying.

I did have colour management turned on.

Luckily; one of the people who had a problem with the colours asked me to fix their laptop. That allowed me to run a few tests. I noticed that, unlike my desktop screen, the laptop screen needs to be viewed at an angle perpendicular to the surface or the image appears dark and discoloured. Should have guessed this. This is why the laptop technology on some PCs is often not adequate for photography. This is also why I've been so careful in selecting my equipment.

I also sent the image to a friend who is diligent in calibrating his monitors. The only major comment was that the reds were a tiny bit high on the saturation. That can be explained by the constantly varying pink light that the A/V folks were using for the stage lighting. With a bit more care, I believe I can remove the enhanced red cast.

Regards;
Gary