Author Topic: Ingest Dialog does't open when card mounted in El Capitan  (Read 15221 times)

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
Re: Ingest Dialog does't open when card mounted in El Capitan
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2015, 07:14:41 AM »
In case anybody wants to dig deeper, it seems the relevant .plist file is this:

~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.ImageCapture2.[your machine UUID].plist

There is a bunch of entries specific to ID of the card (or camera) (which apparently changes with reformatting the card), and one entry that seems to be unspecific (HotPlugActionPath).

Read more here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7176882?tstart=0

Although I don't see anything in it that could help (apart from maybe editing the file to remove all the specific entries, leaving the unspecific DoNothing entry, and locking the file up, but that might not help either)...

You can always delete or disable Photos.app with System Integrity Protection turned off, although that is quite a hack, might leave your system vulnerable, and it will get reinstalled on your next update anyway.

Really, what a mess.

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2015, 03:36:35 AM »
Same problem is happening with me. El Captain and Canon 5D Mk III.
Very annoying. I will try to delete Photos, although I am not much familiar with the procedure that was mentioned previously.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2015, 08:33:51 AM »
Here's a new method for stopping Photos from launching in OSX

http://petapixel.com/2015/12/21/stop-apple-photos-from-auto-launching-in-os-x-with-one-command/

Melbourne-based photographer Ben Fon tells PetaPixel that all you need to do is Open up Terminal, and enter the following line:

defaults -currentHost write com.apple.ImageCapture disableHotPlug -bool YES

Then press Enter.

I believe this blocks ImageCapture altogether, so it may stop you from autolaunching any application, including PM, but there you go.
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2015, 02:41:28 AM »
Thanks. That did the trick so far, great Xmass gift :) Although that probably disables autolaunching of PM upon card insertion, PM is always running on my system right from startup so that's not a big problem (ingest dialog still opens correctly upon card insertion when PM is running)

One person mentioned in the discussion below the article that the defaults key is no longer available in 10.11.3 (beta), though. Anybody with the beta care to test and file a report to Apple if the behaviour is still broken there?

Offline schlotz

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2015, 04:23:00 AM »
Here's a new method for stopping Photos from launching in OSX

http://petapixel.com/2015/12/21/stop-apple-photos-from-auto-launching-in-os-x-with-one-command/

Melbourne-based photographer Ben Fon tells PetaPixel that all you need to do is Open up Terminal, and enter the following line:

defaults -currentHost write com.apple.ImageCapture disableHotPlug -bool YES

Then press Enter.

Yup, this is the only solution I've found, and yes, it stops ALL apps from running with a card insertion.  Still, it's way better than having Photos.app pop up.
You can reverse it by re-issuing the command with a NO in place of the YES.

I believe this blocks ImageCapture altogether, so it may stop you from autolaunching any application, including PM, but there you go.

Offline Primoz

• View Profile
    • PhotoSI Sports photo agency
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2016, 05:27:47 AM »
I just upgraded to El Capitan and had same issues, so I found this thread. I'm one of those who hates too much of control and pushing certain applications or workflow direction from certain manufacturers, and yes, I'm perfectly happy with PM handling my CF cards, so I really don't need Apple's Photos taking care of this (not to mention it's annoying when on deadline to handle other apps which shouldn't be there).
My solution, and yes I know it's really dirty one... Disable Apple's system integrity protection, and then you are actually allowed to delete content of Photos app. You are still not allowed to uninstall it, but at least this way it can sort of disable it, so it doesn't bug you everytime CF card is inserted into reader.