Author Topic: Edit raw in Photoshop via ACR - sort order  (Read 2990 times)

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
Edit raw in Photoshop via ACR - sort order
« on: January 24, 2016, 08:22:07 AM »
I asked at Adobe, they say ask Camera Bits...

I make a selection of raw files in PM then drag them to Photoshop (on a Mac, I'm dragging them to the PS icon in the Dock). The files open in Adobe Camera Raw for me to process. So far so good, but the files are out of order in the ACR filmstrip. I can't work out how they are sorted or how to change the sort order. Its ben suggested that Adobe Bridge somehow controls the sort order but being as I don't have Bridge installed...

I have my PM contact sheet sorting by date/time taken. Any idea how I can make sure ACR respects my choice? Is there something in the way PM 'sends' the files to ACR which is causing my trouble?

Frankly, I'd rather not be using anything Adobe but needs must.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Edit raw in Photoshop via ACR - sort order
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 09:25:35 AM »
I'm afraid there's nothing you (or PM) can do about this. When files are opened in Photoshop they will always be opened in filename the order. This even happens when you tell Bridge to open the files in Photoshop!

The only way I have found that will keep them in the order you selected is to have Brigde open them in its own version of Camera Raw, not Photoshop's (that is: use bridge's open in camera raw).

I'm surprised Adobe doesn't know this…
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 03:13:22 AM »
Thanks, I think all I can do is rename the files before handing them over to ACR then they will be in the order I need.

Over on the Adobe forums https://forums.adobe.com/message/8423701 it was suggested that PM might use ACR as a plug-in in the way Photoshop does. But I don't think that's going to happen.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 05:30:08 AM »
Thanks, I think all I can do is rename the files before handing them over to ACR then they will be in the order I need.
If you absolutely require the sort order, then, yes, that will be the only way I am afraid.
Over on the Adobe forums https://forums.adobe.com/message/8423701 it was suggested that PM might use ACR as a plug-in in the way Photoshop does. But I don't think that's going to happen.
Hmm, IF (and that is a big if, because I really don't think they will) Adobe lets others do this, then this looks like an excellent addition to PhotoMechanic  to me and perhaps something Camerabits could investigate for PM6.x
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl