Author Topic: Dual IPTC data issue  (Read 4807 times)

Offline weather1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Dual IPTC data issue
« on: February 12, 2007, 03:04:27 PM »
I open a file folder in PM 4.4.3.3 under new contact sheet.

I edit the original IPTC data, such as file name, originally generated in Photoshop.

I use the "save" and the arrown button at the top right of the screen to move on to the next photo.

However, when later editing or converting pictues from these "edited" files through PM, I get a warning in other sorting/batching software that there is dual data in the IPTC fields.

Does anyone know why PM is not overwriting and saving such data instead of adding multiple data?

Leo

Apple G5 v. 10.4.8
Photoshop 9.0.2

Offline weather1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Dual IPTC data issue
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 04:27:38 PM »
I should also note that the "dual data" does not apper as visible text in the IPTC fields when viewed, but it's still there according to batch converts like Graphic Converter.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 05:44:46 PM »
Leo,

I open a file folder in PM 4.4.3.3 under new contact sheet.

I edit the original IPTC data, such as file name, originally generated in Photoshop.

I use the "save" and the arrown button at the top right of the screen to move on to the next photo.

However, when later editing or converting pictues from these "edited" files through PM, I get a warning in other sorting/batching software that there is dual data in the IPTC fields.

Does anyone know why PM is not overwriting and saving such data instead of adding multiple data?

What file format are you captioning?  Are you having both XMP and IPTC added to your files?

-Kirk

Offline weather1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 06:13:52 PM »
I am captioning TIFF's. I did just notice that when I use PM to convert TIFF's to JPEGS, this issue does not appear. So I'll use PM to do the conversions instead of otehr software.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 06:21:02 PM »
I am captioning TIFF's. I did just notice that when I use PM to convert TIFF's to JPEGS, this issue does not appear. So I'll use PM to do the conversions instead of otehr software.

In the case of TIFF files (or TIFF-based RAW files) embedding of IPTC and/or XMP data is done by masking out the old IPTC/XMP data and adding new IPTC/XMP data and relocating the TIFF table.  Those programs that are reporting the old data are not properly parsing the TIFF table and are likely just scanning the file for IPTC/XMP data which is really not a good thing to do.

-Kirk