Author Topic: Having to eject twice  (Read 6056 times)

Offline neil@dg28.com

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Having to eject twice
« on: February 01, 2016, 02:16:54 AM »
I have had a new (not particularly troublesome) issue since the latest upgrade (Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 16960 (6a2289)). I also upgraded to Mac OSX El Capitan at about the same time and so it could be an Apple OS issue instead.

When I have closed a contact sheet for a CF or SD card I go to the card in the navigator, right click and select eject. The card then disappeared from the navigator and is safe to eject from the card reader. Now I get the "card in use" message (when it isn't) which I dismiss and go through the eject procedure again after which it disappears in the way that it always did.

This is the same on both of my production Macs. If there's something simple I can do to sort this then I'd love to know.

Thank you.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Having to eject twice
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 09:12:25 AM »
Neil,

I have had a new (not particularly troublesome) issue since the latest upgrade (Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 16960 (6a2289)). I also upgraded to Mac OSX El Capitan at about the same time and so it could be an Apple OS issue instead.

When I have closed a contact sheet for a CF or SD card I go to the card in the navigator, right click and select eject. The card then disappeared from the navigator and is safe to eject from the card reader. Now I get the "card in use" message (when it isn't) which I dismiss and go through the eject procedure again after which it disappears in the way that it always did.

This is the same on both of my production Macs. If there's something simple I can do to sort this then I'd love to know.

What happens if you use the Finder to eject the cards?  Does the same thing happen?

-Kirk

Offline neil@dg28.com

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 09:19:12 AM »
No, Finder seems to do it first time.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 10:10:24 AM »
Neil,

No, Finder seems to do it first time.

We'll try and reproduce it on our end and fix if if we can.  Until then, eject your cards using the Finder.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 12:55:19 PM »
Neil,

Which model(s) of card readers do you have?  We're unable to reproduce the problem on 10.11.3.  Are you up-to-date with your OS?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline neil@dg28.com

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 02:43:51 PM »
I have 10.11.3 on both effected Macs. There are several card readers and brands of cards all returning the same issue - I tried swapping them around before I posted on here. For the record, the card readers are Lexar USB3 Dual Slot, Pixelflash No bend Pin CF reader and a Delkin USB3 SD & CF reader. The cards are both CF and SD and all but one of them are Sandisk and the odd one is an Eye-fi card. It also happens with the computer's own SD slot.

The only other thought is that I have used the Terminal command  {  defaults -currentHost write com.apple.ImageCapture disableHotPlug -bool YES }   to stop Photos opening every time I put a card in (which works by the way).

Otherwise, I am totally foxed too.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 04:41:01 PM »
Neil,

I have 10.11.3 on both effected Macs. There are several card readers and brands of cards all returning the same issue - I tried swapping them around before I posted on here. For the record, the card readers are Lexar USB3 Dual Slot, Pixelflash No bend Pin CF reader and a Delkin USB3 SD & CF reader. The cards are both CF and SD and all but one of them are Sandisk and the odd one is an Eye-fi card. It also happens with the computer's own SD slot.

The only other thought is that I have used the Terminal command  {  defaults -currentHost write com.apple.ImageCapture disableHotPlug -bool YES }   to stop Photos opening every time I put a card in (which works by the way).

What happens if you wait a few seconds before removing the card from the reader?

-Kirk

Offline neil@dg28.com

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 12:41:45 AM »
The error message stays there until you dismiss it and the memory card stays in the navigator. If you eject it anyway you get an error message from the Finder. Baffled!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 09:40:23 AM »
Neil,

The error message stays there until you dismiss it and the memory card stays in the navigator. If you eject it anyway you get an error message from the Finder. Baffled!

Perhaps you could record a video and post a link to it?  Send it to me privately if you like.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline neil@dg28.com

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 02:15:15 AM »
Hi Kirk

I had to install and learn how to use a screen capture app to do this and so some good will have come from it!!!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 09:36:27 AM »
Neil,

I had to install and learn how to use a screen capture app to do this and so some good will have come from it!!!

Thanks for the video.  Our card readers on our 10.11.3 systems do not exhibit the same behavior.  I imagine it is either a bug in Mac OS X 10.11 that Apple will need to fix or there is some other application/extension that you have on your system that is denying the initial unmount request.  PM simply calls the Mac OS X supplied routine FSEjectVolumeSync() and the OS does the rest.  If there is an error, PM asks for the app that dissented.  If the system tells PM which app it was then PM would show you which app denied the eject.  Since you receive a generic message, the system was unable to tell which application had open files or a lock on the volume.

It is odd that a second attempt does work correctly.  PM would simply be doing the same set of instructions on your further attempts.

-Kirk

Offline neil@dg28.com

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 02:56:54 PM »
Thanks for looking Kirk. As I said at the start, this is annoying rather than catastrophic. It is strange that it is the same on two very different Macs here. If I work out why it is happening I'll let you know.