Author Topic: Custom Dictonary  (Read 7989 times)

Offline dbecker

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Custom Dictonary
« on: February 12, 2007, 08:23:15 PM »
Am I able to create my own custom dictionary (say of people's names) in a txt file and then turn it into a lex file?  Also, will PM be able to recognize my new costum dictionary? 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Custom Dictonary
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 11:48:02 PM »
Am I able to create my own custom dictionary (say of people's names) in a txt file and then turn it into a lex file?  Also, will PM be able to recognize my new costum dictionary? 

What platform are you running on?
What exactly do you hope to accomplish by creating a custom dictionary?

-Kirk

Offline dbecker

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 07:50:02 AM »
I am working in a PC / Windows XP.  Running PM 4.33.  I use fully pre typed captions & IPTC (except for the subjects name) and would like to turn off the US dictionary and have PM look at a custom dictonary of peoples names that I would create.  My hope is this would allow me to quickly type in the subjects name(s) and have the dictionary find anything I miss type etc. 

I edit mostly entertainment events.  I would like to create a large celeb list in a dictionary to help assure the correct spelling of names.  Can PM see 2 dictionaries at the same time?  If possible, than I would have PM looking at the US dictionary file and one that I created.  Otherwise I would just load my costum dictionary file.

-Dan

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 08:45:12 AM »
Dan,

I am working in a PC / Windows XP.  Running PM 4.33.  I use fully pre typed captions & IPTC (except for the subjects name) and would like to turn off the US dictionary and have PM look at a custom dictonary of peoples names that I would create.  My hope is this would allow me to quickly type in the subjects name(s) and have the dictionary find anything I miss type etc. 

I edit mostly entertainment events.  I would like to create a large celeb list in a dictionary to help assure the correct spelling of names.  Can PM see 2 dictionaries at the same time?  If possible, than I would have PM looking at the US dictionary file and one that I created.  Otherwise I would just load my costum dictionary file.

You can indeed create a user dictionary.  You need to create a text file named UserDictionary.dic and place it in the following path (yours will vary from mine since your username is likely different):

C:\Documents and Settings\Kirk Baker\Application Data\Camera Bits, Inc.\Photo Mechanic\

It is a simple text file, one word per line.

Also, you may want to look into using Code Replacement where you can use shorthand terms as codes which are replaced by longer strings.  It can be a really fast way to enter lots of complicated terms and you only have to get the spelling correct once.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline dbecker

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 08:33:52 AM »
Thanks I will try this right away.  I also use code replacement - but with so many possible celebrity names - codes begin to get confusing and can often repeat:  No real easy way that I can think of compared to sports by jersey number.  I am working of a potential list of names that are in the thousands now.

When I load this dictionary file do I have to tell PM to see it or do anything in PM preferences?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 08:41:12 AM »
Thanks I will try this right away.  I also use code replacement - but with so many possible celebrity names - codes begin to get confusing and can often repeat:  No real easy way that I can think of compared to sports by jersey number.  I am working of a potential list of names that are in the thousands now.

When I load this dictionary file do I have to tell PM to see it or do anything in PM preferences?

No, it just needs to be in the location I posted earlier.  It will be automatically picked up and used if present.

-Kirk

Offline dbecker

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 10:55:27 AM »
I am unable to find "Application Data" in the Documents and Settings folder on my C: drive.     Does it have to go throug documents and settings?  or can I place the file directly in  --   C:\Program Files\Camera Bits\Photo Mechanic  ?

I tried putting the file in the C:\Program Files\Camera Bits\Photo Mechanic\Dictionaries but it did not seem to work?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 11:07:53 AM »
I am unable to find "Application Data" in the Documents and Settings folder on my C: drive.     Does it have to go throug documents and settings?  or can I place the file directly in  --   C:\Program Files\Camera Bits\Photo Mechanic  ?

I tried putting the file in the C:\Program Files\Camera Bits\Photo Mechanic\Dictionaries but it did not seem to work?

You probably have Windows Explorer set to hide system directories.  If change your settings, you'll find it.

-Kirk