Author Topic: Preview window opens when iptc info window is closed.  (Read 9591 times)

Offline zeeman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Preview window opens when iptc info window is closed.
« on: February 11, 2016, 04:13:02 PM »
PM version 5, Mac OS 10.9.5: When I have a contact sheet open and then open an image's iptc info window by clicking on its little "i" button, do some editing, and then close the iptc info window, the images' Preview window will then open. I should say most of time it will open -- now and then it doesn't, and I haven't been able to determine why. Anyhow, the problem is that I wish the preview window would NOT open just because I closed the images' iptc info window. It results in a lot of extra clicking, from my having to always close that Preview window. (It covers up other stuff I need to see on my already cluttered desktop, and also I just don't need it open!) Is there any way to prevent the preview window from opening just because I happen to close the iptc info window? Thanks so much for any help.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Preview window opens when iptc info window is closed.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 06:52:19 PM »
PM version 5, Mac OS 10.9.5: When I have a contact sheet open and then open an image's iptc info window by clicking on its little "i" button, do some editing, and then close the iptc info window, the images' Preview window will then open. I should say most of time it will open -- now and then it doesn't, and I haven't been able to determine why. Anyhow, the problem is that I wish the preview window would NOT open just because I closed the images' iptc info window. It results in a lot of extra clicking, from my having to always close that Preview window. (It covers up other stuff I need to see on my already cluttered desktop, and also I just don't need it open!) Is there any way to prevent the preview window from opening just because I happen to close the iptc info window? Thanks so much for any help.

That should never happen.  What are you doing to close the IPTC Info dialog?  Pressing a key?  Using the left mouse button?

I need more information from you.  What you have described shouldn't happen.  I can see how this problem would be more than mildly irritating.

-Kirk

Offline zeeman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 08:53:49 AM »
Sorry for the delay in response, been out of pocket. I click the "ok" button, bottom right, of the iptc info window, which closes the window and saves my edits, but then the preview window immediately opens up of its own accord. As a test, I also just now tried clicking the close window button (top left, the little red button available on most Mac windows), and that also triggered opening of the preview window. If I open iptc info and then close without making any edits, the preview window does NOT open. Or if I make very minimal edits, like just adding one period for instance, preview does not open. I haven't tested to figure out if there's a certain number of edits or characters required before preview is triggered.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 02:14:38 PM »
Sorry for the delay in response, been out of pocket. I click the "ok" button, bottom right, of the iptc info window, which closes the window and saves my edits, but then the preview window immediately opens up of its own accord. As a test, I also just now tried clicking the close window button (top left, the little red button available on most Mac windows), and that also triggered opening of the preview window. If I open iptc info and then close without making any edits, the preview window does NOT open. Or if I make very minimal edits, like just adding one period for instance, preview does not open. I haven't tested to figure out if there's a certain number of edits or characters required before preview is triggered.

Very strange.  I have no idea what could cause this nor, do I have a solution or a workaround for you at this time.  It sounds like some event is coming into the app like a keypress (pressing the space bar will open the preview window for the selected photo) after you close the dialog.  What happens if you have no images selected when you bring up the IPTC Info dialog?  Does the problem still happen?

-Kirk

Offline zeeman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 02:54:33 PM »
When I have one or more selected in contact sheet and then open iptc info, make edits, and then close iptc info, the preview usually opens. (Though not every time. Maybe 80% of the time.) But if I have none selected when I open iptc, it's looking like preview does NOT open, no matter how many edits I make. So I guess that's a solution, though it adds clicks to have to make sure I have none selected. (Plus remembering to check.)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 03:07:23 PM »
When I have one or more selected in contact sheet and then open iptc info, make edits, and then close iptc info, the preview usually opens. (Though not every time. Maybe 80% of the time.) But if I have none selected when I open iptc, it's looking like preview does NOT open, no matter how many edits I make. So I guess that's a solution, though it adds clicks to have to make sure I have none selected. (Plus remembering to check.)

I'm not actually suggesting that you do the above.  I'm trying to obtain more data points so I can figure out what is causing your issue.

Do you have any software installed that performs keyboard macros for you?  If so, can you try turning it off?

-Kirk

Offline zeeman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 04:11:06 PM »
I don't think so, but where should I look to check and make sure? (Have to sign off, now back late morning tomorrow, Eastern time, thanks.)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 10:04:27 AM »
I don't think so, but where should I look to check and make sure? (Have to sign off, now back late morning tomorrow, Eastern time, thanks.)

Well, either you have a third-party application like TypeIt4Me or TextExpander, or you don't.

-Kirk

Offline zeeman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 10:41:16 AM »
No, don't have those or any add on macro keys apps. I wasn't sure whether or not Macs have some sort of built-in macro-keys programming that could be set up on my machine, and I wasn't aware -- I'm not the only one to ever use the computer I'm on.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 02:28:06 PM »
No, don't have those or any add on macro keys apps. I wasn't sure whether or not Macs have some sort of built-in macro-keys programming that could be set up on my machine, and I wasn't aware -- I'm not the only one to ever use the computer I'm on.

OK, I'm going to have you turn on key event logging.  I am attaching a file for you that has the logging of keystrokes turned on.  You'll have to put it in PM's preferences folder.

PM’s Preferences folder can be located via the Finder.  Use the “Go To Folder” command on the Go menu.  Enter the following:

~/Library/Preferences/com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic

Copy the attached file there.  Then restart PM and reproduce the problem.  Then go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and when the zipped PM log file is produced, attach it to your response to this message.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline zeeman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 03:01:09 PM »
Ok thanks, this will have to wait until tomorrow, too busy, stay tuned.

Offline zeeman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 02:00:41 PM »
Holy crapoley! I was trying to reproduce the problem and discovered what causes it. With a contact sheet open, if I then open the iptc window by DOUBLE CLICKING on the "i" button in the lower left of any contact sheet image, then when I exit iptc by clicking "ok" in lower right, the Preview window suddenly pops up.

It's the double clicking of the "i" that does it! Of course it only requires a single click, but so many other things on the computer in general require a double click that I sometimes do it unconsciously. Horsed around and also discovered that if i double click the i button, then pause as the iptc window opens, then click the i button once more, the preview will NOT open when I close iptc.

So the "i" button continues to be reactive after the initial click, and causes the odd opening behavior of preview.