Author Topic: Slow when opening folders of large tiffs  (Read 3025 times)

Offline manitou22

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Slow when opening folders of large tiffs
« on: February 11, 2016, 05:34:36 PM »
I saw a tutorial somewhere (maybe your blog) and it described a way to reset or speed up Photo Mechanic.  Maybe by reseting prefs or doing something with the cache?  It just seems to work slower now unless I am accessing images on a SSD drive (several minutes to open a folder of large tiff files on a standard drive).

I am running Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 16960 (6ba2289) on a Mac Pro 6-core 3.33 ghz with 24 gigs of ram. 

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Slow when opening folders of large tiffs
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 06:54:34 PM »
I saw a tutorial somewhere (maybe your blog) and it described a way to reset or speed up Photo Mechanic.  Maybe by reseting prefs or doing something with the cache?  It just seems to work slower now unless I am accessing images on a SSD drive (several minutes to open a folder of large tiff files on a standard drive).

I am running Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 16960 (6ba2289) on a Mac Pro 6-core 3.33 ghz with 24 gigs of ram. 

Define what you mean by "open a folder"?  Do you mean that it takes a long time for thumbnails to appear, or for the sort to finish?  Which sort method is your default sorting method?  Filename sorting is the fastest, followed by Modification Time, and then the remaining sorts are much slower.

-Kirk

Offline manitou22

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 02:38:51 PM »
Yes, the thumbnails take a long time.  I always sort by filename too, thanks for that tip.

I just did a test and it took 1 minute and 45 seconds to open a folder of 31 16-bit tiffs.  Maybe not too bad?  But when I am doing other work on my computer it can take a lot longer.

Thanks,

Will

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 06:13:11 PM »
Will,

Yes, the thumbnails take a long time.  I always sort by filename too, thanks for that tip.

I just did a test and it took 1 minute and 45 seconds to open a folder of 31 16-bit tiffs.  Maybe not too bad?  But when I am doing other work on my computer it can take a lot longer.

TIFF files are very slow to load in comparison to JPEGs of the same pixel count.  The file size difference is quite large and there is just more data to process in a TIFF.

-Kirk