Author Topic: Search doesn't work in Choose file dialog on OSX  (Read 7555 times)

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
Search doesn't work in Choose file dialog on OSX
« on: February 15, 2016, 06:18:39 PM »
I have an issue with the Choose file dialog that wasn't a problem before. I use Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 16960 (6ba2289) on a retina MacBook Pro 13" with OSX 10.10.5 (14F1021).

I usually save my IPTC stationeries once written to be reused at later similar shoots so I only have to select the saved file and update certain information in it before applying it to files.
I store all of my saved IPTC stationeries in a folder sorted by date and event name and I have been searching for the right one using the Search field in the top right corner of the Choose file dialog that pops up in PM after clicking on the Load... button on the IPTC Stationery pad.

In the past it worked as a charm. I only start to type my queries and the right files came up as expected. However recently this started not working for me. It doesn't matter what text I type I don't get any search result. Either the unfiltered complete file list is displayed or when I type anything in the search field then no files are displayed at all. Even typing in the full filename doesn't help the file doesn't show up at all.

It must not be an OSX issue as in Finder all this works fine without any problem, but the same method has no result in the Choose file dialog in PM. (See screenshot below)

I hope you can reproduce the error and find a solution for it.

Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Search doesn't work in Choose file dialog on OSX
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 10:06:30 AM »
I have an issue with the Choose file dialog that wasn't a problem before. I use Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 16960 (6ba2289) on a retina MacBook Pro 13" with OSX 10.10.5 (14F1021).

I usually save my IPTC stationeries once written to be reused at later similar shoots so I only have to select the saved file and update certain information in it before applying it to files.
I store all of my saved IPTC stationeries in a folder sorted by date and event name and I have been searching for the right one using the Search field in the top right corner of the Choose file dialog that pops up in PM after clicking on the Load... button on the IPTC Stationery pad.

In the past it worked as a charm. I only start to type my queries and the right files came up as expected. However recently this started not working for me. It doesn't matter what text I type I don't get any search result. Either the unfiltered complete file list is displayed or when I type anything in the search field then no files are displayed at all. Even typing in the full filename doesn't help the file doesn't show up at all.

It must not be an OSX issue as in Finder all this works fine without any problem, but the same method has no result in the Choose file dialog in PM. (See screenshot below)

The file chooser dialog is provided by the OS.  PM has no way to interfere with its operation.

Does it work properly in another application like TextEdit?

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 04:32:16 AM »

The file chooser dialog is provided by the OS.  PM has no way to interfere with its operation.

Does it work properly in another application like TextEdit?

-Kirk

It works as expected in other Apps like TextEdit, TextWrangler, PhotoShop, etc. Every app I checked seems to work just fine PM is the only exception. And it used to work with PM as well before just recently.

It may also be a local problem too (however I can't imagine what). Does it work for you in PM?
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 06:38:35 AM »
Interesting, I just tried searching from the "Load…" at the IPTC Stationary pad myself and it indeed doesn't work at all. More curious, When I tried to search from the Open Contact Sheet (CMD+O) dialog as well as the Choose… button from the Uploader, search did seem to work (though it only showed me directories, but I guess this is because you can only choose folders anyway).

So there definitely seems to be something different/wrong with the way the open dialog is started from the IPTC window?

Hope this helps finding the cause,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 08:19:15 PM »
OK, I found out what the problem is with the search box in the file/folder picker dialogs.  If PM tells the file picker to limit the file types to a particular type, say .XMP files then a bug introduced in 10.8 and still unsolved in later Mac OS X versions causes the search box to cease to function.

Some other developers are talking about the problem here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24537389/setallowedfiletypes-seems-to-break-search-ni-nsopenpanel

The upshot of this is that I don't know when Apple will resolve the issue or even if they have any intention of doing so.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 04:56:08 AM »
OK, I found out what the problem is with the search box in the file/folder picker dialogs.  If PM tells the file picker to limit the file types to a particular type, say .XMP files then a bug introduced in 10.8 and still unsolved in later Mac OS X versions causes the search box to cease to function.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24537389/setallowedfiletypes-seems-to-break-search-ni-nsopenpanel

The upshot of this is that I don't know when Apple will resolve the issue or even if they have any intention of doing so.

-Kirk

I'm sad to hear. This is an important function - or at least it would be if it would work...
,-((
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 10:34:37 AM »

-Kirk

As I see there has been no change in this under OSX Sierra - Is there any hope to get a solution in High Sierra or CameraBits to implement any workaround to have a functioning search option in the open dialog?
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 04:18:17 PM »

As I see there has been no change in this under OSX Sierra - Is there any hope to get a solution in High Sierra or CameraBits to implement any workaround to have a functioning search option in the open dialog?

We need to filter file types.  Apple hasn't fixed the bug.

Have you thought about doing your search in the Finder and then once you find your file, dragging and dropping the file from the Finder and into the file picker dialog?  It should switch to the directory containing the file and the file should be selected.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 02:36:21 AM »

We need to filter file types.  Apple hasn't fixed the bug.

Have you thought about doing your search in the Finder and then once you find your file, dragging and dropping the file from the Finder and into the file picker dialog?  It should switch to the directory containing the file and the file should be selected.

HTH,

-Kirk

I don't really need the filtering on part of PM as I keep all my IPTC Stationery files in one folder and nothing else is in that folder so for me this filtering is more of a pain in the ass than of any help.

I never tried dragging a file into an open file dialog. It is a strange approach for me and I cannot imagine anyone doing it this way, but it does solve the problem.
Not really the way I would expect it to be solved, but it does solve it and needs less additional work than it did before - until now I searched for the file in Finder then I had to navigate to the folder in PM Open dialog and find the file manually.

Thanks for the help Kirk (I should've push this question much-much earlier it would've save me a lot of wasted time ,-)))
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 07:58:47 AM »
I never tried dragging a file into an open file dialog. It is a strange approach for me and I cannot imagine anyone doing it this way, but it does solve the problem.

I've been using the drag and drop feature of the file picker dialogs for more than a decade.

There are other features in the file/folder pickers (popup menu at top that gives you access to frequently accessed folders) that I use as well.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 12:14:03 PM »

I've been using the drag and drop feature of the file picker dialogs for more than a decade.

There are other features in the file/folder pickers (popup menu at top that gives you access to frequently accessed folders) that I use as well.

-Kirk

Thanks Kirk. The drag and drop solves this problem for me.
Allways shooting RAW.