Author Topic: PM slow down  (Read 2992 times)

Offline Chantus

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • www.garciabetancourt.com
PM slow down
« on: February 19, 2016, 04:53:17 PM »
I'm getting the spinning ball while opening large folders (10,000 pictures). When trying to move them to another folder, PM does not respond anymore and I get the beach ball forever.
I've tried deleting PM preferences as indicated but that only improved the ingest time.

Running El Capitan 10.11.3 and Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 17146 (60130ac)
on a Macbook Pro Retina late 2013.

Many thanks

video showing the issue
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8015204/pm.mp4.zip
Pablo Betancourt

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM slow down
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 08:10:06 PM »
I'm getting the spinning ball while opening large folders (10,000 pictures). When trying to move them to another folder, PM does not respond anymore and I get the beach ball forever.
I've tried deleting PM preferences as indicated but that only improved the ingest time.

Running El Capitan 10.11.3 and Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 17146 (60130ac)
on a Macbook Pro Retina late 2013.

PM hasn't finished loading the metadata for the images yet and you're trying to drag and drop the selected images (all 11,000 of them) to some place in the Navigator.  While PM is in general a fast application, it can't get beyond its need to get the metadata out of the files prior to copying/moving them (or doing anything substantial really).  If you scroll through the images and then see that they have all loaded, I expect you should not experience further delay when dragging and dropping the 11,000+ files beyond the time to move the hundreds of megabytes of data around on your hard drive.

-Kirk

P.S. I suggest making the Memory cache no larger than 512 MB.  Bigger isn't always better.