Author Topic: FTP not connecting via cellular hotspot  (Read 15228 times)

Offline Jen Mack

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
FTP not connecting via cellular hotspot
« on: February 24, 2016, 09:55:43 PM »
Earlier this week I was getting ready to FTP from an event using a cellular hotspot (Karma Go to be exact), and everything seemed to work, but the FTP process stalled and would not start sending. I tried twice and then switched to the service’s web page uploader. I got my images sent, but think this needs looking into.

I was able to open the FTP connection in a terminal window, and PM also seemed to get that far. I saw the “building path” message. I didn’t try to do a manual upload because of deadline. It was just a quick check while PM was stalled.

I just wanted to get some info on PM’s FTP process. Are there any apps/processes/threads apart from the main program? I’m trying to anticipate questions they’ll ask. Also I was using an active connection, since from my home internet passive mode won’t transfer files (Alamy).

It’s a normal wifi connection to the Karma box, so I just think it’s weird they would block FTP transfers. If you have any other ideas that would help with chasing this down, I’d love to hear them. Also I’ll update when I hear back. Their support seems to be a fill in box at their help page.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: FTP not connecting via cellular hotspot
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 07:54:00 PM »
Earlier this week I was getting ready to FTP from an event using a cellular hotspot (Karma Go to be exact), and everything seemed to work, but the FTP process stalled and would not start sending. I tried twice and then switched to the service’s web page uploader. I got my images sent, but think this needs looking into.

I was able to open the FTP connection in a terminal window, and PM also seemed to get that far. I saw the “building path” message. I didn’t try to do a manual upload because of deadline. It was just a quick check while PM was stalled.

I just wanted to get some info on PM’s FTP process. Are there any apps/processes/threads apart from the main program? I’m trying to anticipate questions they’ll ask. Also I was using an active connection, since from my home internet passive mode won’t transfer files (Alamy).

It’s a normal wifi connection to the Karma box, so I just think it’s weird they would block FTP transfers. If you have any other ideas that would help with chasing this down, I’d love to hear them. Also I’ll update when I hear back. Their support seems to be a fill in box at their help page.

No separate processes.  PM is heavily multithreaded though.

If you send me your PM log file, there may be some clues there.  In Photo Mechanic, go to the Help menu, choose Reveal Support Data... and then when your OS filesystem window comes forward, the zipped PM log file should be selected.  Attach it to your reply to this message.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Jen Mack

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 11:19:08 PM »
The first entry on Jan-23 is where the problem happened. I fixed the “0.0.0.0” name server problem when nothing would resolve (changed it to 8.8.8.8) and tried again.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 12:46:05 PM »
Jenny,

The first entry on Jan-23 is where the problem happened. I fixed the “0.0.0.0” name server problem when nothing would resolve (changed it to 8.8.8.8) and tried again.

OK.  I'm going to have you turn on some additional logging.  You need to create a plain text file named PMDebug.txt and it has to be in PM's Preferences folder.

PM's Preferences folder will be in the following location:

~/Library/Preferences/com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic/

Unfortunately Apple decided a few OS versions ago to hide the Library folder within your home folder.  You can still get there though by using the "Go to Folder..." command on the Go menu in the finder.  Enter the path above in the dialog that appears.

Create your PMDebug.txt file there and make it have the following contents:

FTP_COMMANDS_AND_RESPONSES_LOGGING ON

Save the file and relaunch PM5 and try an FTP upload.  You can then use the "Reveal Support Data..." command on the Help menu to get the updated zipped log file.  Contact me privately for information on where to send the file (it will have data that you won't want just anyone to have access to.)

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Jen Mack

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 01:58:23 PM »
Ok, prefs file created and installed. I’ll do some testing over the weekend.

- FTP while on hotspot
- FTP while on home wifi, but with TunnelBear VPN active (noticed errors there too)
- Plain FTP on home wifi

I’ll make sure to let it time out each time, as needed.

I’ve also heard back from karma, and they say they don’t block anything. I’ve also set me DNS to the OpenDNS IPs, so it won’t be changing with each network. I’m thinking now it’s not so much the hotspot, because PM errored out when using the VPN too. I had forgotten about that. (Alamy uses plain FTP, so I’d like to have some protection as the FTP PW is the same as the acct. PW. IT fail for sure.)

I’ll report back on Monday or Tuesday.

Offline Jen Mack

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 10:16:08 AM »
Ok, had something to upload this morning.

The first two FTPs was using my home wifi and VPN, PM kicked out an an error just after connecting.

The second was on the hotspot, no VPN, and PM didn’t send. Had to abort after several minutes. While waiting, I opened the terminal as was able to FTP into Alamy, and change directories. Hotspot doesn’t seem to block FTP.

The third was home wifi, as normal, and PM sent just fine.

I’ve emailed the file to support, with a note about this thread.

Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 05:06:14 PM »
Ok, had something to upload this morning.

The first two FTPs was using my home wifi and VPN, PM kicked out an an error just after connecting.

The second was on the hotspot, no VPN, and PM didn’t send. Had to abort after several minutes. While waiting, I opened the terminal as was able to FTP into Alamy, and change directories. Hotspot doesn’t seem to block FTP.

The third was home wifi, as normal, and PM sent just fine.

I’ve emailed the file to support, with a note about this thread.

OK.  They'll forward it to me on Monday.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 10:31:13 AM »
Jenny,

Thanks for the log.  We looked through it and it appears that you are using an active connection and that the server you're connecting to does not support active connections.  Can you try a passive connection and see if that works properly?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Jen Mack

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 02:28:34 PM »
 That's odd. The only thing that changed between the 3 to 4 attempts was the way that it connected.

I didn't change any of the FTP settings between attempts.  It worked as an active connection on my home Wi-Fi. I've tried to connect via passive mode and that's pretty much an instant fail the server doesn't support it.

I just got hit with the flu. So might be a few days before I'm back at work.

Offline Jen Mack

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 06:32:25 PM »
Ok, another go.

#1: Activate VPN, FTP error (same settings from before)
#2: Tick the passive FTP box, VPN still active, times out.
#3: Deactivate VPN, FPT goes through, no problem (and I learned passive mode works on Alamy, it previously didn’t)

Where to send the log file?

I only changed one thing at a time, also since the VPN also seems to block FTP it’s easier to turn that on than to fire up the hotspot.

Offline Jen Mack

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 05:05:49 PM »
Did anything show up from that last log file I sent via email?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 07:29:44 PM »
Jenny,

Did anything show up from that last log file I sent via email?

There is a number of log items that are of interest, but the engineer best suited to interpret them is on vacation this week.  We'll try and get on it again next week.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2016, 10:32:32 AM »
Ok, another go.

#1: Activate VPN, FTP error (same settings from before)
#2: Tick the passive FTP box, VPN still active, times out.
#3: Deactivate VPN, FPT goes through, no problem (and I learned passive mode works on Alamy, it previously didn’t)

Where to send the log file?

I only changed one thing at a time, also since the VPN also seems to block FTP it’s easier to turn that on than to fire up the hotspot.

OK in the case of #1, the server doesn't appear to support an active connection.  It refuses to accept the PORT command and its arguments.
In the case of #2, the server accepts the request for a passive connection, but when PM tries to connect to the IP address and port provided by the server, the connection fails and times out and after a number of retries fails permanently.

How is your VPN set up?  Does it become your primary gateway?  (Do other programs besides PM such as your web browser, automatically use the VPN without changing any of their configuration?)

-Kirk

Offline Jen Mack

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2016, 09:49:07 PM »
How is your VPN set up?  Does it become your primary gateway?  (Do other programs besides PM such as your web browser, automatically use the VPN without changing any of their configuration?)

-Kirk

Correct. It’s Tunnel Bear. (https://www.tunnelbear.com) It has a free usage option, if you’d like to try it. But yes, it takes over the connection and all handles all network activity without needing to change any settings. PM is the only app that I’ve had puke while using it.

It looks like the presidential parade is coming thru town, so I’ll give the hotspot a try on location soon.

Offline Jen Mack

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2016, 01:02:52 AM »
No settings changed from last FTP session, I used the hotspot and everything worked ok. 29 photos uploaded, no errors.

- I guess the passive setting does the trick. Originally Alamy would only work with active FTP. But uploading was flakey then, I guess they fixed their server.
- Now that I’ve verified the hotspot works, it’s all about the VPN. If Alamy used SFTP it wouldn’t be a problem.

So, what would be the best way to further test this?