Author Topic: RAW Files and Photo Mechanic  (Read 6536 times)

Offline lrose57@houston.rr.com

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
RAW Files and Photo Mechanic
« on: February 13, 2007, 07:33:22 PM »
I am using a demo version, and it will not open Nikon NEF files, only jpegs. Does the non demo version open Nikon RAW files, or is photo mechanic limited to only opening JPEGS?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: RAW Files and Photo Mechanic
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 07:55:34 PM »
I am using a demo version, and it will not open Nikon NEF files, only jpegs. Does the non demo version open Nikon RAW files, or is photo mechanic limited to only opening JPEGS?

The demo is not limited in any way other than time.  You may have shot your photos in RAW+JPEG mode and Photo Mechanic has a setting that is turned on by default that joins the RAW(NEF) and the JPEG and displays them as a single thumbnail.

You can turn this off temporarily from the Image menu.  You can turn this off permanently with the Preferences dialog.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline lrose57@houston.rr.com

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 08:14:34 PM »
If I turn off the JPEG, and I did not shoot RAW and JPEG, just RAW, will the photo not display?

Offline Ian Brook

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 08:06:08 AM »
From my understanding, the PC version of PM only views the embedded jpeg in a NEF and does not open the NEF itself. But I have no problems viewing NEF's, in that way, that I shoot in RAW only mode, on my D200.

Ian

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 09:03:28 AM »
If I turn off the JPEG, and I did not shoot RAW and JPEG, just RAW, will the photo not display?

There is no way to "turn off the JPEG."  You can only turn off the joining of RAW and JPEG as a single thumbnail.

Does your folder contain NEFs, JPEGs, or both NEFs and JPEGs?

-Kirk