Author Topic: Self-Registration Error During Install & Un-Install  (Read 3394 times)

Offline ravi

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Self-Registration Error During Install & Un-Install
« on: April 09, 2016, 04:43:25 PM »
Hi,

I'm running PM5 Build 17146 on a Win10Prox64 system, and am having an issue with the installer.

• I upgraded my workstation this past weekend and did a clean install of Win 10 followed by a download and install of the latest PM5 build (while logged in to my admin user account).
  • Installation went fine till the very end when a "Self-Registration Error" popped up. I've attached a screen capture as a JPG.
  • Attempted to un-install to try again, but received the same error message.
Just want to verify that this error is "harmless" and I'm not missing some major component of PM5 that is going to cause erratic behavior or file corruption down the line before I start using PM5 heavily on the new system. PM5 launches successfully and seems otherwise normal, but I haven't exercised the app intensively on any major tasks.

Is there perhaps a way to manually register this DLL component? Or, should I just ignore it?

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Self-Registration Error During Install & Un-Install
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 09:13:21 AM »
Hi,

I'm running PM5 Build 17146 on a Win10Prox64 system, and am having an issue with the installer.

• I upgraded my workstation this past weekend and did a clean install of Win 10 followed by a download and install of the latest PM5 build (while logged in to my admin user account).
  • Installation went fine till the very end when a "Self-Registration Error" popped up. I've attached a screen capture as a JPG.
  • Attempted to un-install to try again, but received the same error message.
Just want to verify that this error is "harmless" and I'm not missing some major component of PM5 that is going to cause erratic behavior or file corruption down the line before I start using PM5 heavily on the new system. PM5 launches successfully and seems otherwise normal, but I haven't exercised the app intensively on any major tasks.

Is there perhaps a way to manually register this DLL component? Or, should I just ignore it?

That DLL is for a Windows Explorer 'shell menu', a menu item that appears when you right-click on an item in Windows Explorer.  The DLL can be registered manually if you feel comfortable using a DOS prompt.  You won't miss any functionality within PM if it isn't installed/registered.

Otherwise you could run PM's installer as Admin and it would likely register completely on its own.

-Kirk

Offline ravi

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 09:46:48 AM »
Kirk,

Thanks for confirming this does not impact the primary functions of PM.

I ran the PM installer while logged in under an administrator account, but the error still occurred.

I can live without the context-menu extensions. However, in case I change my mind later and since I'm comfortable using DOS, I'm curious to know the sequence of command strings for manually registering this DLL?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 10:55:43 AM »
Generally it is the following to be entered in an elevated (Administrator) command prompt:

regsrvr32 path\to\dll

Here is more information than most people would ever need:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/249873

(Ignore the part about Windows XP support expiring, it has nothing to do with your situation.)

BTW, if you didn't run the installer with Run As Admin, then it didn't run as Admin.  See:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/how-do-i-run-an-application-once-with-a-full-administrator-access-token

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline ravi

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 05:26:37 PM »
Problem resolved.

Thanks for your help!