Author Topic: PM slow at star ratings and file deletion  (Read 3370 times)

Offline mbrakes

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM slow at star ratings and file deletion
« on: April 02, 2016, 05:02:08 AM »
As the subject line says, PM has ceased to be a speed daemon. Applying star ratings or deleting files usually takes several seconds (usually around 5 seconds per photo) and brings forth the dreaded beach ball. This has made PM all but unusable for me for file browsing and sorting. It's about as slow as Lightroom 6, and much slower than Capture One 9. This is the case both when browsing files on an internal SSD and internal 7200rpm 1GB drive in my 2010 Macpro tower using Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 17146 (60130ac). The same held true for the previous build I was using. Running OS X 10.11.3. My Mac has 32GB of RAM, so lack of memory shouldn't be the cause.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 05:08:23 AM by mbrakes »

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: PM slow at star ratings and file deletion
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 10:09:04 AM »
Hmm, for me PM is running as fast as ever. So I do think there is something wrong with your system that is making PM crawl. Is there perhaps a process running in the background that is heavily using your disks and/or CPU? Have you already rebooted (this usually clears up any processes that have been running “wild”).
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 09:19:29 AM »
As the subject line says, PM has ceased to be a speed daemon. Applying star ratings or deleting files usually takes several seconds (usually around 5 seconds per photo) and brings forth the dreaded beach ball. This has made PM all but unusable for me for file browsing and sorting. It's about as slow as Lightroom 6, and much slower than Capture One 9. This is the case both when browsing files on an internal SSD and internal 7200rpm 1GB drive in my 2010 Macpro tower using Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 17146 (60130ac). The same held true for the previous build I was using. Running OS X 10.11.3. My Mac has 32GB of RAM, so lack of memory shouldn't be the cause.

I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic log.  In Photo Mechanic go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Finder window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline mbrakes

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 12:12:57 AM »
Thanks Kirk, I appreciate it. I have attachd the zipped log.

Offline mbrakes

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 06:13:00 AM »
Ok, think this one is solved. I had a peek inside the log file just in case I could make sense of anything there myself, and it looked like there was something going on with the cache, so I figured there could be some problems with the permissions or write access to the cache file and ran DiskWarrior on the disk, and looks like that fixed it. Very snappy again! :-)

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 06:29:34 AM »
Good to hear you solved it. As I expected there was an issue on your system :)
(Note: from the log I gathered there wasn't so much a problem with the cache as with the location of the actual files, but anyway seems diskwarrior solved it!)
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline mbrakes

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 05:49:23 AM »
Thanks Hayo - I'm just curious what you mean by "there wasn't so much a problem with the cache as with the location of the actual files"?

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 02:09:40 PM »
What I meant was that the cache was fine, it was the files themselves that gave (access) problems. I guess some file rights issue or otherwise.
Hayo Baan - Photography