Author Topic: Hanging when switching between Applications as well as closing Prefs  (Read 6680 times)

Offline cfritz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hello,

Just installed the current version of PM 17146 (60130ac) on a brand new MacPro 10.11.4 (plenty of ram). Everything is still working perfect on old 2006 MacPro 10.7.5, also PM 17146 (60130ac), with same setup exact Network and PM Pref selections. The Folder is being read off the same Sinology NAS in both case.

Two problems to note:

1. With a contact sheet open, after I have switched out of PM to the finder or any other application there is a brief pause coming back to PM. Sometimes the Pinwheel / Beachball appears. I have tried to adjust the settings in the Preview Pane of the Preferences. IE, Always make current..., Synchronize Single Selections.... and Rescan Contact sheet the...... This did solve the problem of a delay between leaving a preview and regaining control of the contact sheet and has lessened the switching between application issue, but about a 3 second delay remains. One last note on this, with a smaller folder of 250 photos, there is no delay.

2. While continuing to try and fix this problem, now if I deselect any of those preferences and click "OK", PM will freeze for about 5 minutes. Activity monitor has a "not responding" next to PM. If there is no contact sheet open, there is not a delay. Also with a smaller folder of 250 photos, there is no delay.

My first inclination is that the contact sheet is being scanned again, but beyond this I am at a loss to fix the problem.

Attached is screenshot of the two screens.

Thanks for your help. -Craig
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 08:47:04 PM by cfritz »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Hanging when switching between Applications as well as closing Prefs
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 09:28:48 AM »
When you switch back into PM from another application, PM rescans all open contact sheets for new/renamed/deleted files.  This can take some time if you have multiple contact sheets open, have a lot of files in a single contact sheet, or a lot of files spread over several contact sheets.  Also, network volumes take a lot longer to scan than local disks.  There is a way to speed this up somewhat by telling PM to ignore specific file types that you never work with.

Optimized folder rescanning and added the ability to control what file associations should be searched. The following flags can be added to a text file named PMDebug.txt which should be placed in Photo Mechanic’s preferences folder:
   IGNORE_EXTENSION_THM (THM files are used with the CRW RAW format. If you don’t have CRW files then you can safely enable ignoring this extension.)
   IGNORE_EXTENSION_LZN (LZN files are for the open source RAW editor Lightzone. If you don’t use Lightzone, then you can safely enable ignoring this extension.)
   IGNORE_EXTENSION_FLT (FLT files are for the QImage printing application. If you don’t use QImage, then you can safely enable ignoring this extension.)
   IGNORE_EXTENSION_BIB (BIB files are used by the Bibble RAW editor application. If you don’t use Bibble, then you can safely enable ignoring this extension.)
   IGNORE_EXTENSION_RDSF (RDSF files are used by the RAW Developer application. If you don’t use this now extinct application, you can safely ignore this extension.)
   IGNORE_EXTENSION_NKS (NKS files are used by Nikon Capture NX-D. If you don’t use this application, you can safely ignore this extension.)
   IGNORE_EXTENSION_XIP (XIP files were generated by older versions of Photo Mechanic prior to the existence of XMP sidecar files. Unless you’re browsing folders that were edited by a much older version of Photo Mechanic, you can safely ignore this extension.)

Ignoring these extensions will significantly reduce the amount of network traffic utilized by Photo Mechanic when browsing a network drive. If you want to ignore any of the above extensions, simply place them, one per line, in your PMDebug.txt file followed by ON, YES, or 1. Restart PM and those extensions set to be ignored will now be ignored and will no longer be associated with your files if they exist. This means that if you rename/move/copy an item, the ignored files will not be processed in the operation and will not be renamed/moved/copied.

As for Preferences taking a long time to close, does it matter what changes you've made?  Is it equally slow if you make no changes and OK the dialog?

-Kirk

Offline cfritz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 09:34:13 AM »
I will make these changes and let you know about the Pref soon. Thanks! -Craig

Offline cfritz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 10:51:08 AM »
Kirk,

The txt file may have made it a little snappier... maybe, not sure? The odd thing for me was that these are NOT issues on an older computer with the exact same configuration, including photos located on the same server.

As For the Preferences. Yes it does the long hang when an option is changed. When an option is not changed but "ok" is pressed, the Hang still happens. However if Cancel is selected, nothing hangs up.

I have tried to reinstall as well as used the preference folder from the the older computer, all to no avail.

For what it is worth, I have used PM loyally for I don't know how long and really appreciate your help.

Thanks Craig

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 10:54:39 AM »
Craig,

The txt file may have made it a little snappier... maybe, not sure? The odd thing for me was that these are NOT issues on an older computer with the exact same configuration, including photos located on the same server.

As For the Preferences. Yes it does the long hang when an option is changed. When an option is not changed but "ok" is pressed, the Hang still happens. However if Cancel is selected, nothing hangs up.

I have tried to reinstall as well as used the preference folder from the the older computer, all to no avail.

For what it is worth, I have used PM loyally for I don't know how long and really appreciate your help.

I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic log.  In Photo Mechanic go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Finder window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline cfritz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 10:56:59 AM »
Here you go.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 12:18:11 PM »
Here you go.

The only odd things I'm seeing in your log is that when PM thinks that an XMP sidecar file exists, it is spontaneously inaccessible.

[Sun Apr-03-2016 21:28:06.481][b5539000][3291844] DiskUtils.mm:1659 DiskUtils::GetFileInfoStat() failed with error: No such file or directory on "/Volumes/Live_Storage/Wedding-Live/Current Weddings CATS/Hillary and Shepherd CATS/Rehearsal CATS OFF/_MG_6740_j.XMP"
[Sun Apr-03-2016 21:28:06.627][b3531000][3299340] DiskUtils.mm:1659 DiskUtils::GetFileInfoStat() failed with error: No such file or directory on "/Volumes/Live_Storage/Wedding-Live/Current Weddings CATS/Hillary and Shepherd CATS/Rehearsal CATS OFF/_MG_6743_n2.XMP"

Do you know why that would happen?

-Kirk

Offline cfritz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 12:34:48 PM »
In that folder, there are CR2 files with XMP files. This part of the log is from different folder from the large one pictured in the previous screenshots. This one has 225 photos intend of 6000+. I'm surprised the XMP was not recognized. Also attached is a screenshot of how my IPTC/XMP pref is set up. I believe it is at the default. Thanks, -C

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 01:25:42 PM »
The problem is that PM is recognizing XMP sidecar files but when it tries to access them, they're not there at that point in time.  The filesystem cannot find the files at that path!

What kind of disk is this?  Does it have intermittent connectivity issues?

-Kirk

Offline cfritz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 01:33:06 PM »
It is a 5 disk Synology NAS set up as Raid 5, connected via link aggregation ethernet. Has always been solid on the connection, maybe I need to look at the new computer.  Do you have know any way to analyze this? -C

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2016, 06:17:56 PM »
It is a 5 disk Synology NAS set up as Raid 5, connected via link aggregation ethernet. Has always been solid on the connection, maybe I need to look at the new computer.  Do you have know any way to analyze this? -C

No, I'm no expert in NAS systems.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2016, 10:16:37 PM »
Have you already run a full disk check on your NAS disk? Looks like something is wrong at that end...
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl