Author Topic: Auto Add different caption on ingest depending on filename  (Read 5423 times)

Offline atf300

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Auto Add different caption on ingest depending on filename
« on: April 04, 2016, 10:51:13 AM »
I work at an event where i have to edit pictures coming from 4 photographers at the same time to our FTP.

an option to append a preset stationary pad on ingest which would differ by photographer . the way to identify each photographer and his images would be the filenames.

is that possible in the future ? that would save us a lot of meaning less captioning.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Auto Add different caption on ingest depending on filename
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 12:21:07 PM »
I work at an event where i have to edit pictures coming from 4 photographers at the same time to our FTP.

an option to append a preset stationary pad on ingest which would differ by photographer . the way to identify each photographer and his images would be the filenames.

is that possible in the future ? that would save us a lot of meaning less captioning.

It can already be done with the IPTC Stationery Pad and Code Replacement.

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=User_Manual_Flat_View#Code_Replacement

You could use the initial part of the filename (stripping off the numbers) as your lookup for Code Replacement.

http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=User_Manual_Flat_View#Variable_Substring_Extraction

People have been doing this sort of thing with Photo Mechanic for years now with great success.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline atf300

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 10:42:38 AM »
Hey Kirk !

could you explain the process a bit more .

im not sure on which step the code replacement would run . also how it would look.

do i set the codereplacement

{filenamebase}photographerA                photographerA Caption ?

etc ?

am i on the right track ?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 11:52:37 AM »
could you explain the process a bit more .

im not sure on which step the code replacement would run . also how it would look.

do i set the codereplacement

{filenamebase}photographerA                photographerA Caption ?

You said earlier that each photographer would have custom filenames out of their camera so I'll assume they'll be in this type of format:

ABC_0001.JPG
DEF_0001.CR2
GHI_0001.NEF
etc.
(the filename extension won't matter)

Your Code Replacement file would look like this:

ABC[tab]Caption text[tab]Photographer Name[tab]etc.
DEF[tab]Caption text[tab]Photographer Name[tab]etc.
GHI[tab]Caption text[tab]Photographer Name[tab]etc.

([tab] should be where you press the Tab key on your keyboard as you're entering the text.  Tab is the column delimiter in Code Replacement files.)

In your IPTC Stationery Pad you'd enter (assuming the default Code Replacement delimiter of '\', if you use something different substitute yours) :

Caption field: \{filenamebase:0,3}#1\
Photographer field: \{filenamebase:0,3}#2\

Then save your IPTC Stationery Pad.

During Ingest, apply the IPTC Stationery Pad and your images will have the proper values for each photographer filled in.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline atf300

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 07:54:40 AM »
Thanks Kirk !

my mind is blown ! somehow i never figured out that you can use code rplacement in other fields than caption.

thanks a lot !

this will help a lot