Author Topic: Different format cropping tool  (Read 4637 times)

Offline kmajor

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Different format cropping tool
« on: March 28, 2016, 02:06:17 PM »
In my particular workflow, I tend to crop images for display to parents for sale. Mostly they buy 4x6 prints or 8x10 prints or the derivatives of these - 8x10, 16x20 20x24 etc or 4x6, 8x12, 20x30, 24x36.

It would be helpful to have cropping tool overlay that showed both the 8x10 and 8x12 format in one crop tool. Currently the tool shows either just the outside frame or a "rule of thirds" grid. I use the grid but sometimes I mistakenly crop the image for one format that won't allow proper cropping for the other size. Same functionality as the existing grid crop tool but with internal markers for 8x10 ratio and outside would be a the 8x12 ratio.

A grid something like this:

----------------
|  |             |   |
|
|  |             |   |
----------------

With my apologies for the the graphic. I can draw it out and attach if clarification is needed.
And again my apologies if this has been suggested and discussed in the past - I only got through the first 15 pages of threads.

Thanks for all the years of productivity!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Different format cropping tool
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 03:29:36 PM »
How would one specify which "internal" crop(s) would be shown?
When one sets the crop, only the outer crop could be set since an image can only ever have a single crop.

-Kirk

Offline Linwood

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 08:12:07 AM »
If you do elect to do other overlays, I'd also love to see some addition, especially a more fine grid.  I find myself moving it so as to get the grid line near vertical lines or horizontal lines.  A "fine" grid would be helpful there, not necessary of course, but nice.

Offline annedi

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 07:15:46 AM »
Just make a drop-down menu for different types of grids.

Another crop tool request:  Is it possible to have a pixel size crops? For some of the work I do, I often need to take un-resized crops of small sizes from different parts of the photo. Typically 500 x 500 pixels, but other dimensions could be easily set, yes?
Andrea Blum
UltravioletPhotography.com