Author Topic: Building Taxonomies  (Read 3952 times)

Offline jmichaelo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Building Taxonomies
« on: February 15, 2007, 06:42:01 PM »
I would like to build different taxonomies to apply to images during ingest. For example

Nature, Plant, Tree, Evergreen

or

Nature, Animal, Mamal, Feline, House Cat

The IPTC Stationary pad has Database (Object and Categories) and Keywords. The Category and Supp Cat 1, 2, 3 seem like the best place but each set list is separate. There is no way that I can find to load an entire taxonomy in one operation.

It would be great if I could load the "Nature" taxonomy with the result that each level has the appropriate entries.

My Nirvana would be to have only one taxonomy where selecting a Category restricts the Supp Cat 1 entries, and so forth until the Supp Cat 3 entry. In addition, I would like different Keyword sets for each separate taxonomy.

Any thoughts on how I can accomplish my goals?

Thanks,

Michael

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Building Taxonomies
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 07:00:34 PM »
Michael,

I would like to build different taxonomies to apply to images during ingest. For example

Nature, Plant, Tree, Evergreen

or

Nature, Animal, Mamal, Feline, House Cat

The IPTC Stationary pad has Database (Object and Categories) and Keywords. The Category and Supp Cat 1, 2, 3 seem like the best place but each set list is separate. There is no way that I can find to load an entire taxonomy in one operation.

It would be great if I could load the "Nature" taxonomy with the result that each level has the appropriate entries.

My Nirvana would be to have only one taxonomy where selecting a Category restricts the Supp Cat 1 entries, and so forth until the Supp Cat 3 entry. In addition, I would like different Keyword sets for each separate taxonomy.

Any thoughts on how I can accomplish my goals?

It sounds like what you want is a controlled vocabulary of hierarchical terms.  Photo Mechanic 4.5 will have what we call a Structured Keywords editor which allows you to create hierarchies of general to specific terms and synonyms.  Currently it pastes its terms into either the Keywords or Caption fields, but I suppose we could make that more generic in the future.

-Kirk