Author Topic: Preview problem with Sony a6300 RAW files  (Read 4205 times)

Offline JAMelle

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Preview problem with Sony a6300 RAW files
« on: June 15, 2016, 10:01:11 AM »
Apparently PM doesn't recognize the file format of RAW files from the new Sony a6300 camera. It will only generate previews at 1616 x 1080 rather than the image size of 6000 x 4000. This make using magnification to check image sharpness virtually useless. Do I need to do something like change a setting somewhere or is this a pending "fix"?  Thanks
Alan Melle

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Preview problem with Sony a6300 RAW files
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 10:46:30 AM »
Alan,

Apparently PM doesn't recognize the file format of RAW files from the new Sony a6300 camera. It will only generate previews at 1616 x 1080 rather than the image size of 6000 x 4000. This make using magnification to check image sharpness virtually useless. Do I need to do something like change a setting somewhere or is this a pending "fix"?  Thanks

PM will be showing the embedded JPEG preview within your RAW file.  It sounds like the preview is of low resolution.  There may be a setting in your camera to control the size and quality of the JPEG preview in the RAW files your camera produces.

Failing that, other options are to shoot RAW+JPEG, or to convert your RAW files to Adobe DNG files (with a full preview).

-Kirk

Offline annedi

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Preview problem with Sony a6300 RAW files
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 11:58:18 AM »
JAMelle -

Sony does not store a full size embedded JPG in the raw ARW file.
You must convert your raw ARW in an appropriate converter and then do a Save As JPG to get a full-size JPG.
IMHO, this is rather a pain. But that's the workaround.

When shooting RAW + JPG with my Sony a7R, I still get the small JPGs in-camera. You have to set Quality to JPG only at size Large to get a full-size JPG in-camera.

Hope this helps.

Andrea Blum
UltravioletPhotography.com