Author Topic: Can I select all cropped photos?  (Read 5334 times)

Offline Linwood

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Can I select all cropped photos?
« on: April 14, 2016, 10:44:52 AM »
Is there a way to select all cropped photos?

Alternatively, is there a way to select all photos which have generated an XMP file (while not the same, it is often the same thing for me as I usually first cull and crop).

My issue is when I cull and crop, occasionally I forget to hit the "tag" button.  Or worse, I hit it twice which turns it off.  So it would be handy to go back through and find any cropped, not tagged, and make sure I did not want them.

Also, is there any way to define a "tag" key that is not a toggle, but will leave it tagged if you hit it twice?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Can I select all cropped photos?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 10:51:06 AM »

No.

Alternatively, is there a way to select all photos which have generated an XMP file (while not the same, it is often the same thing for me as I usually first cull and crop).

No.

My issue is when I cull and crop, occasionally I forget to hit the "tag" button.  Or worse, I hit it twice which turns it off.  So it would be handy to go back through and find any cropped, not tagged, and make sure I did not want them.

Also, is there any way to define a "tag" key that is not a toggle, but will leave it tagged if you hit it twice?

Not from the Preview window.  From the contact sheet you can press '+' to force a tag and it won't toggle.

-Kirk

Offline Linwood

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 07:31:49 PM »
Oh well, three strikes.   ;)

Thanks.

Offline toptog

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 02:16:30 PM »
I have also asked that question as have many who use PM. It would save a great deal of time if PM had a select cropped feature. It also needs a lighten pics slider and a faster way to zoom so as to check that pics are sharp. Google Picasa has a lighten slider and a one click(mouse) in and out quick zoom. Picasa s free and can do it why can't PM Bits. I think Camera Bits would want to improve their product but the call for the above improvements seem to fall on deaf ears for some reason. I find PM has many features that are far less important for increased workfllow than it should have. Never mind all the different colours for or stars for rating photos lets have some of the above. Is it such a really big deal to improve the software as mentioned?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 04:20:11 PM »
I have also asked that question as have many who use PM. It would save a great deal of time if PM had a select cropped feature. It also needs a lighten pics slider and a faster way to zoom so as to check that pics are sharp. Google Picasa has a lighten slider and a one click(mouse) in and out quick zoom. Picasa s free and can do it why can't PM Bits. I think Camera Bits would want to improve their product but the call for the above improvements seem to fall on deaf ears for some reason. I find PM has many features that are far less important for increased workfllow than it should have. Never mind all the different colours for or stars for rating photos lets have some of the above. Is it such a really big deal to improve the software as mentioned?

Command-click (Mac) or Ctrl-click (Windows) on an area of interest will zoom at your current zoom setting.  Is there some other way you can suggest we implement that would be faster?

As for lightening/darkening a photo, PM is not an image processor.  It is not our focus at this time.  We may add such features in the future.

-Kirk

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 07:01:10 AM »

Soooo...
Since you are primarily correcting mistakes here are a couple of workarounds:

If you use a star instead of a tag it will not turn off by using the same star key combination.
When you are done you could then tag all the starred and remove the stars (if you wanted to end up with tags)

As far as cropped or xmp files , if you sort by date modified that might group them for you...

As far as the lightening of images suggested by toptog...perhaps you could brighten your screen temporarily but I, for one, really like all those tags and stars and would not want pm bloated with image editing...

Marc
Marc

Offline toptog

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 10:31:02 AM »

Command-click (Mac) or Ctrl-click (Windows) on an area of interest will zoom at your current zoom setting.  Is there some other way you can suggest we implement that would be faster?

As for lightening/darkening a photo, PM is not an image processor.  It is not our focus at this time.  We may add such features in the future.

-Kirk

Yes I can. Just have it so when the cursor is on the pic there is no requirement to hold the Ctrl key (see Picasa software).There is no reason to have to hold the Ctrl key. There would be if when the cursor was on the image it was set to go straight to crop when the mouse was clicked but it does not it requires the  x key to start the crop. So it should be a one click zoom in and out on the mouse. The reason for haveing it as the zoom as one click in and out rather than the crop is because there is no point in cropping an un sharp photo. Only when the photo has  been found to be sharp do you move on to the crop. So it would be ingets,view,one click in out zoom, crop and caption move on to next pic and on and on. Then to "select cropped" then "FTP pics"
click send FTP. Job done. No need to hold key for zooming,no need to remember to tag photos.

Is there any comment about the much needed "select cropped" facility. Camera bits have missed out on this time saving and more certain method of selecting photos. Having to tag is just another time restraint and something that can easy be forgoten thereby causing more prolems. There are real opportunities here to improve PM.

As far as PM being an image processor. I completely agree that area is covered by other software developers. But when using PM it would be an improvement if it was not necassary to have to go into using other software which waste a lot of time just to lighten a photo.

PM's area is high speed selection and caption of photos of a required standard. It is a photo jounalists tool. But as I have stated it can still be improved greatly in it's own field.

The requirment for a slider to just lighten pics is because all the sports togs at sometime take photos on football fields that are half in shadow and half in bright sunshine and no matter what we do we get shots that are in shadow, it can be because floodlights do not cover all the ground. No matter what cameras we have or what settings we use a lighten slider is needed.
The three things agin.

1. Select cropped

2. one click zoom (it is the first thing togs need to know before caption crop or anything)

3. Simple slider to lighten pic.

Those are the three ways to  improve  PM.