Author Topic: moving computers  (Read 2296 times)

Offline Michael Coffey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
moving computers
« on: April 15, 2016, 09:55:44 PM »
Hi my question relates to finding and copying PM5 system files to a new laptop.

My old mac laptop suddenly dies. I save the HD and put it in a portable case. But now my new copy of PM5 on a new computer behaves totally differently compared to in the old laptop. Can I simply copy the PM5 files over from the old computer to the new one? If not what is the best way to copy system prefs (such as the info box on the top right)?

As a second question - how to import NEFs in PM5 without creating sidecar files as I use Nikon software to edit NEFs and don't need these extra files.

Cheers

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: moving computers
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 01:18:49 AM »
Hi my question relates to finding and copying PM5 system files to a new laptop.

My old mac laptop suddenly dies. I save the HD and put it in a portable case. But now my new copy of PM5 on a new computer behaves totally differently compared to in the old laptop. Can I simply copy the PM5 files over from the old computer to the new one? If not what is the best way to copy system prefs (such as the info box on the top right)?

If you can access the user account on your old HD, you can copy the preferences.  Without knowing which OS you use, I cannot give you explicit instructions.

As a second question - how to import NEFs in PM5 without creating sidecar files as I use Nikon software to edit NEFs and don't need these extra files.

You would need to adjust your IPTC/XMP settings to embed XMP into your RAW files.  Preferences->IPTC/XMP is where you make those changes.

-Kirk

Offline Michael Coffey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 03:40:12 AM »
I am using the latest OS X for Mac. I accessed the hidden Library file in the old HD and copied the PM preferences folder into the new HD.

When I got the option of retaining the old or keeping the new cache file path, I kept old path (not deleted) but opted to use the new. Is that the correct way? All previous preferences and settings seem to be working as before.

I have updated the IPTC/XMP settings to be consistent with CNX - thanks for the heads up. I will monitor this.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 05:04:16 PM »
Michael,

I am using the latest OS X for Mac. I accessed the hidden Library file in the old HD and copied the PM preferences folder into the new HD.

When I got the option of retaining the old or keeping the new cache file path, I kept old path (not deleted) but opted to use the new. Is that the correct way? All previous preferences and settings seem to be working as before.

That should be fine, the cache will be rebuilt as needed.

-Kirk

Offline Michael Coffey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 07:22:03 PM »
Thanks Kirk, I am good now.  ;D