Author Topic: Problem with renaming Fuji files (X-Pro2)  (Read 3447 times)

Offline iau

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Problem with renaming Fuji files (X-Pro2)
« on: April 18, 2016, 08:46:47 AM »
Hi,
The most recent build seems to read the wrong metadata from the files. The field Frame# (as in {fnm4}) is correct in the previous Build, but the most recent is all Frame#1 despite the image counter being correct.

Found some info on the Fuji site that suggest what they refer to as Frame# is not the same as file numbering
http://fujifilm-dsc.com/en/manual/x-pro2/menu_setup/save_data_set-up/index.html#frame_no.

Hope you can take a look at this and hopefully fix it so it works as it used to.

-iau

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Problem with renaming Fuji files (X-Pro2)
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 04:01:25 PM »
Well I had added support for parsing the Maker note of Fujifilm cameras and thought this was a better number to use for the frame number (than defaulting to last 4 digits of filename) since there was no other place in the file where Fuji was setting this (unlike some other models that put this value in their Maker note).  But looks like it is indeed the number used for resetting.  I've removed this and it now gets the frame number again from the filename.  This fix will be in the next update.  If you send me a PM I can get you a version to test against.

NOTE: if you expect to use this frame number and also rename your files, you will need to tuck away the frame number in some unused IPTC field during ingest.  For example put the {fnm4} variable in the special instructions field (or wherever suits you).

The good news is that PM now picks up the internal serial number (a really long string), white balance, sharpness, contrast, and focus mode (auto/manual) for Fuji in case those values aren't written in the standard Exif area.

--dennis

Offline iau

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 10:10:06 AM »
Thanks!

I will send you a PM to try it out. :)

-iau

Offline olidie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 11:12:03 AM »
I recently added a Fuji X100T to my camera collection. For far I am renaming files from my Nikons {datesort}_{act} in order to have the pictures in chronological order plus a unique number. The variable {act} does not work with the Fuji. Is there a way to a unique frame number? {fnm4} will start over every 9999 pictures.

Oliver

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 12:09:29 PM »
Hi Oliver,

Unlike Nikon, Fuji doesn't appear to store their frame number (or actuation count) in a place that is known (e.g. Exiftool usually can find a lot of information but this is not one of them).  Other manufacturers are also reluctant to share this information which is unfortunate.

If you use {datesort}_{fnm4} then even if the frame repeats after 10,000 photos (or 9,999) then you will still have a unique filename unless you are taking 10,000 photos in a day ;)

Exiftool shows several possible candidates in the Fuji maker note for frame number but it appears that each model does things differently and therefore it is a hit and miss.  It may be that the newer cameras are storing this but I doubt your X100T is storing this.

Regards,

--dennis

Offline olidie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 11:58:55 PM »
Thank you Dennis! I am doing it like you suggested and am happy with this solution.

Oliver