Author Topic: Facebook Upload  (Read 7648 times)

Offline carloschegado

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Facebook Upload
« on: October 29, 2010, 12:06:45 PM »
Hi,

Is there any way to upload images to Facebook galleries directly from Photo Mechanic?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Facebook Upload
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 01:29:08 PM »
Is there any way to upload images to Facebook galleries directly from Photo Mechanic?

No, there is no Facebook uploader template, nor will there be one unless Facebook makes it easier to authenticate third party uploaders.

-Kirk

Offline Bob J

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 08:22:21 PM »
Hi, Have FaceBook made things any easier? A FB upload feature would sure be useful

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 06:22:01 AM »
Hi, Have FaceBook made things any easier? A FB upload feature would sure be useful

I don't know.  I haven't looked into it for some time now.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 09:32:04 AM »
Graham,

I am covering events. Clients want Facebook and other social media coverage. With out direct hooks to social media sites, how would I do this. Thanks

Facebook has an upload facility built into it.  If you want to prepare images at a particular size, you could use Save As to save your scaled images to a folder and then upload the folder's worth of images in Facebook.

Please note that Facebook will disregard virtually all metadata you have applied to your images, including keywords and captions.

-Kirk

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 10:02:34 AM »
Please note that Facebook will disregard virtually all metadata you have applied to your images, including keywords and captions.

If you use Facebook's uploader to create an album, then it does indeed retain the caption and uses it as the photo's description in a post. PM does not have a Facebook uploader, but actually a lot of the uploaders out there that do exist don't make it easy to tag other people in the post. So, even if PM did have a FB uploader, it would still probably be more effective to use FB's native uploader - since there you can actually tag people and pages in photos.  Plus, here is a tip that is not exactly intuitive:  (This works on Chrome, I don't know about other browsers.) If you click "Create Photo Album" on Facebook, a file chooser dialog opens up. If you drag a selection of photos right from Photo Mechanic to the file chooser dialog and drop them there, the file chooser goes to that folder with your photos already selected. Upload them right there, and your caption fields will be the description for each photo in the album.

(Clarification: If you use FB to create a regular single-photo post, the metadata does not show up. Only when creating an album, does the caption come through, for whatever reason)

I hope that helps.

-Mick
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 11:03:47 AM by MickO »
Mick O
Camera Bits