Author Topic: PM will not start :(  (Read 4832 times)

Offline jramskov

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM will not start :(
« on: April 23, 2016, 01:21:53 PM »
Hi.

System info: Latest stable OS X El Capitan on 2013 rMBP and latest release of PM (PhotoMechanic5R17338.dmg).

A few days ago when I wanted to start PM to ingest som photos, it wouldn't start and I have no idea why. When I try to start it, nothing basically happens. I have tried to download the latest release again and install it  again by overwriting the current install but that didn't help.

I'm unsure of what to try next. I don't want to lose my settings if possible.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM will not start :(
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 01:02:57 PM »
I'd like to see your Console log (Applications/Utilities/Console.app) and I'd like to see your PM.log which is in this location (use the Go to Folder... command in the Finder and paste the following)

~/Library/Caches/Photo Mechanic/

The file is titled PM.log and may be large.  If you need to, you can right-click (or Control-click) on the log file and choose Compress "PM.log" and then attach the resulting zip file to your reply.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline jramskov

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 07:57:15 AM »
Sorry for the slightly slow reply, thought I had notifications enabled.

I'm not sure what logs you want from the console.app, but I have attached the pm.log.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 09:03:04 AM »
Sorry for the slightly slow reply, thought I had notifications enabled.

I'm not sure what logs you want from the console.app, but I have attached the pm.log.

There are no entries in your log since April 20.  The log entries do indicate that your PM Sort Cache database is damaged.  It can be safely deleted and will be re-created.

For a problem like this, I suggest contacting our support folks at:

By email: support@camerabits.com

By phone: +1 503.547.2888  //  Fax: +1 503.547.2880

Hours: Mon-Fri, 9:00am-5:00pm [PST/PDT]

Offline jramskov

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 03:52:15 AM »
That sounds likely, how do I do that?

I found PMSortCache_2.db and PMSortCache_2.db-journal in /library/caches/photo mechanic and tried deleting them, but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

Every time I try to start the app, it generates an obscene amount of log files. I just deleted all of them and tried to start it again and it generated around 1800 logfiles, each >10MB in size. I have attached one of them to this post.

I will contact support right away too.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 08:09:02 AM »
That sounds likely, how do I do that?

I found PMSortCache_2.db and PMSortCache_2.db-journal in /library/caches/photo mechanic and tried deleting them, but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

Every time I try to start the app, it generates an obscene amount of log files. I just deleted all of them and tried to start it again and it generated around 1800 logfiles, each >10MB in size. I have attached one of them to this post.

1,800 separate log files?  PM can only ever create one file named PM.log.  PM does rename the current log file to a random name on startup, copies the last 10 MB to a new file named PM.log and then deletes the randomly named file.  They shouldn't be left behind like that.  This indicates to me that there is something seriously wrong with your hard drive on your computer.

The contents of your log file are not new.  The most recent entries are from April 20th.

Have you checked your system for problems?  I suggest running the Disk Utility application at the very least and make sure to repair any problems it finds.

-Kirk
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 09:49:49 AM by Kirk Baker »

Offline jramskov

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2016, 02:28:04 PM »
Note: I have gotten a reply through email from your colleague, John Keel and replied again, stating more or less the same as here. Not sure whether we should stop this thread or?

1,800 separate log files?  PM can only ever create one file named PM.log.  PM does rename the current log file to a random name on startup, copies the last 10 MB to a new file named PM.log and then deletes the randomly named file.  They shouldn't be left behind like that.  This indicates to me that there is something seriously wrong with your hard drive on your computer.
You might very well be right. It's a late 2013 rMBP 15" with a 512GB PCIe based SSD. The disk is encrypted using FileVault. I haven't experienced any other issues with my machine. No crashes or apps that don't work. PM is the only app that's causing trouble. That's why I didn't think it was a disk problem.

As for the log files, it continues to create those when I try to start PM, here's a screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t80koaoq9xjp6xx/PM%20logfiles.png?dl=0

The contents of your log file are not new.  The most recent entries are from April 20th.

I guess that was the last time I used it before it failed to start?

Have you checked your system for problems?  I suggest running the Disk Utility application at the very least and make sure to repair any problems it finds.

I have done that several times now and it has repaired some stuff, but PM still fails to start.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2016, 02:46:00 PM »
Note: I have gotten a reply through email from your colleague, John Keel and replied again, stating more or less the same as here. Not sure whether we should stop this thread or?

You might very well be right. It's a late 2013 rMBP 15" with a 512GB PCIe based SSD. The disk is encrypted using FileVault. I haven't experienced any other issues with my machine. No crashes or apps that don't work. PM is the only app that's causing trouble. That's why I didn't think it was a disk problem.

As for the log files, it continues to create those when I try to start PM, here's a screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t80koaoq9xjp6xx/PM%20logfiles.png?dl=0

I guess that was the last time I used it before it failed to start?

I have done that several times now and it has repaired some stuff, but PM still fails to start.

OK.  I suggest calling support directly: +1 503.547.2888  That way you can speak to John directly.

-Kirk

Offline jramskov

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 12:41:22 AM »
That would perhaps be a good idea, though I'm located in Denmark, I don't want to spend a small fortune on a phone call to USA. Do you happen to take calls through Signal, Skype, Whatsapp, Facetime or similar?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 08:10:13 AM »
That would perhaps be a good idea, though I'm located in Denmark, I don't want to spend a small fortune on a phone call to USA. Do you happen to take calls through Signal, Skype, Whatsapp, Facetime or similar?

I'm sure John could help you via Skype voice chat.  Please contact him.

-Kirk