Author Topic: Potential New Customer/question  (Read 2252 times)

Offline Ryan2016

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Potential New Customer/question
« on: May 02, 2016, 10:33:34 AM »
Hello,

I am a long time photographer. I tried and just do not like Lightroom, I just don't get it, guess I am hard headed for sake of how intuitive I think it should be. I have yet to download Photo Mechanic to buy or try. My work flow now is when shooting RAW I use Iridient developer, Work the image to my liking and save it as a JPEG. If it needs further work I bring it into photoshop say to convert to B&W or some other effect. Granted I may not have figured out everything Iridient Developer can do if it can at all. In Iridient I am correcting exposure, midtones, highlights and shadows and adjusting white balance if needed.  I have folders I have created on my Mac with the Job and sub folders with RAW and JPEG and Work and Final or watermarked and non watermarked etc

My first question is can Photo Mechanic take all my photos and folders and organize existing content or is this just for new projects.  Does that make sense?

On occasion I will have a project and take over 1000 images I need to pick out the good from the bad, shot in RAW, adjust, put on a thumb drive And post to social medial like Facebook or maybe a blog whatever..

Just looking to be more efficient and clean up stuff before it gets too out of hand.
I do have two external desktop HD's as well for backup.

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Potential New Customer/question
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 10:41:29 AM »
I am a long time photographer. I tried and just do not like Lightroom, I just don't get it, guess I am hard headed for sake of how intuitive I think it should be. I have yet to download Photo Mechanic to buy or try. My work flow now is when shooting RAW I use Iridient developer, Work the image to my liking and save it as a JPEG. If it needs further work I bring it into photoshop say to convert to B&W or some other effect. Granted I may not have figured out everything Iridient Developer can do if it can at all. In Iridient I am correcting exposure, midtones, highlights and shadows and adjusting white balance if needed.  I have folders I have created on my Mac with the Job and sub folders with RAW and JPEG and Work and Final or watermarked and non watermarked etc

My first question is can Photo Mechanic take all my photos and folders and organize existing content or is this just for new projects.  Does that make sense?

Photo Mechanic is a photo browser, it doesn't take your images and store them away in a Library or a Vault.  Point PM to a folder of images and it will view them, allow you to rate/tag/color label/add metadata/crop/etc.  It does not do image retouching or rendering.  Photo Mechanic is great for many things and it is a real time saver for many workflows, especially for culling prior to doing image adjustments and rendering in another application.

On occasion I will have a project and take over 1000 images I need to pick out the good from the bad, shot in RAW, adjust, put on a thumb drive And post to social medial like Facebook or maybe a blog whatever..

Just looking to be more efficient and clean up stuff before it gets too out of hand.
I do have two external desktop HD's as well for backup.

PM excels at culling/cleaning out the bad shots and has upload templates for several services.  It will not do RAW adjustments however.

HTH,

-Kirk